Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2010, 08:29 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As others have mentioned, I would also suggest getting the 18-55 kit lens to start with. It's a pretty decent lens and while not a macro, you can get very close with it. A 50mm prime certainly isn't mandatory. I have one because I have owned it for years. I use it occasionally but not often. Probably every member here will have a different opinion on what they consider the "essential kit". Thats because each person has found what works for them by experience and as everybody's photography is a little different so every answer is different. A kit zoom is a very good place to start. Perhaps a little more versatile zoom such as the Sigma 17-70 macro instead of the 18-55.

03-09-2010, 12:33 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
A kit zoom is a very good place to start. Perhaps a little more versatile zoom such as the Sigma 17-70 macro instead of the 18-55.
The kit is indeed a good start (although I chose the DA 18-250 instead, I do use the DA 18-55 more now). But the 18-55's close focus is 10", not macro-close; with a DCR-250 on it, the working distance is around 4", and it's nowhere near 1:1. I don't know the Sigma so I'll say nothing there. But there's a reason 100mm macros are popular -- they're good field macros, short teles, portrait lenses -- a triple threat. Add a DCR-250 for extra oomph, and pack a kit zoom, and you've got a good initial tool set. Then you can start thinking about flashes, tripods, sensor cleaning kits, etc.