Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2010, 02:03 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Shooting Raw with K7 improves noise?

I've read on various sites/reviews that the high iso noise concerns/problems can be alleviated by shooting in RAW. How is this possible?

I'm assuming that its b/c the jpeg engine in the camera isn't up to the task and if RAW pics are processed with a program that does a better job?

If this is the case, then what software are most people using and at what settings?

Any input is appreciated b/c I have $1,800 bucks burning a hole in my pocket and I'm trying to decide whether to stick with Pentax or go with a canon 7d/Nikon d300s.

If this is the case, I'd much rather go with the k7 and take the rest to invest in an excellent lens/accessories...but sometime down the road (long down the road) I'd like to get into work that requires a camera to do well in lower light (maybe weddings).

I'm not looking for recommendations on what camera to buy, but if anyone could elaborate on this (especially someone that uses a k7 or k20d for weddings/low light photography) and how well it works for them I would GREATLY appreciate it!!

03-07-2010, 02:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are looking at doing weddings in the future then maybe you should be thinking full frame?
03-08-2010, 11:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's not just a question of software-based RAW processing doing "better" than the camera - it's a question of it giving you more control. Every picture is different, every user different. A camera can provide only a handful of one-size-fits-most options.

But I'd say, browse around (see for example Imaging Resource) to find RAW samples from various camera and try processing them yourself using trial versions of the various programs out there. I saw an interesting comparison on dpr where someone took the raw source files images used in the "comparometer" for the K-7, K-x, K20D, and K10D, ran them through ACR (the Adobe RAW processing engine within Photoshop, Lightroom, and Elements) using defaults. I think this was within the thread called "high iso differenceL hype?" or something like that. Anyhow, the results were, if not completely indistinguishable, really surprisingly small. But I repeated the test (well, I used K200d instead of K10D) using ACDSee Pro 3 and found the K-7 more noticeably behind the other three to my eyes. I didn't bother to try to custom tweak the NR settings for the K-7, but what this showed is there is a range of possible results that is software and user dependent.