Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2010, 09:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Modes

What's the difference between Picture mode and "P" Program mode ?

I prob won't use them, but if someone would please enlighten me.

Chromo.
ist-DL

P.S. Oh and a second question while I'm here :
Where do I get the best DOF calculator to run on my laptop ?

03-07-2010, 10:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't know about the *ist, but on my K-7, P mode is kinda like an automatic mode where the camera determines the best shutter speed and aperture (and ISO if I have Auto-ISO enabled), but skewed towards a specific program line (ie. prioritize faster shutter speeds for action shots, prioritize aperture for blurry backgrounds, etc.)

Picture mode sounds like one of those built-in scene modes. It's essentially one of P (program) mode's specific program lines. No idea what it would prioritizze.

I use the following depth of field calculator:
Online Depth of Field Calculator
03-07-2010, 11:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

With regards to the second question.

I will help if you mention which OS you're using Advising an application that does not run on your OS is not going to make you happy.

I also use the dofmaster; there is a windows version available. Else you can save the page and should end up with all required files to run it stand alone; I use this on my Linux machines and it seems to work.
03-08-2010, 02:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
I will help if you mention which OS you're using Advising an application that does not run on your OS is not going to make you happy.
Ah yes, sorry I forgot
Windows XP

03-08-2010, 07:41 AM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

Picture mode applies EVERYTHING in the camera's bag of tricks, and also selects those custom image settings --night, portrait, sports, etc.--which you can also select manually yourself.

In Program mode, you can tell your camera to apply sharpness, for example, or not apply it, based on your preference. And that's that. Same thing for metering (center weighted, spot, etc.). Program mode is just handling the ISO, aperture and shutter speed.

Picture mode selects one of the custom image settings for you--night. portrait, sports, etc.--and adds all of the bells and whistles associated with each mode.
03-08-2010, 10:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Unless I'm missing something "Picture" isn't a specific mode. I'm assuming you mean "Auto Pict".
03-08-2010, 03:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Unless I'm missing something "Picture" isn't a specific mode. I'm assuming you mean "Auto Pict".
Yes..."Auto pic"...I know this is like fully automatic mode. I'll use it ocasionally if I only have a couple of seconds to get a shot off.
After looking at the manual again, I think "P" or program mode might be as stated by GoremanX, like semi-auto where the camera only auto adjusts the shutter and aperture.
Sounds like I've got no use for it unless anyone can suggest where it can come in handy. I normally use either Av, Tv, Manual or B.
Over the years I've taken thousands of photos with various cameras, my last being a Pentax MZ-50. I've only had this ist-DL for 3 months and I'm still trying to get used to digital photography. It's a whole new ball game. There are so many more options that you need to know how to adjust, making photography more compex. But I'll get there eventually !

DOF Master looks pretty good but it's hard to get all the specs onto a card so they don't overlap. The hyperfocal charts are really good.

Went out to a rally meet on the weekend. I'll shove a couple of shots in my gallery.

Chromo