Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2010, 11:07 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax Kx - bulb setting 30 second + shots

I just purchased a new Pentax Kx DSLR - so far I LOVE IT!! something I noticed... there's no spot for the wired remote that I use to use with my k110d? I was able to locate the bulb setting in manual but I see no way to force it to stay on for more than 30 seconds.... With my old k110d I was able to take night time shots with 3 to 5 min exposures using the wired remote on bulb setting.

Can someone let me know if and how this is possible? Since there is no remote jack I assume you need to either press and hold the picture taking button or use some kind of wireless remote with a timer. I appreciate any help in advance.
thanks
Warren

03-08-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You need the infrared remote control as far as I can find in the manual; check page 81 of the manual, menu C2.

Advise; get an electronic copy of the manual; makes searching easy.
03-08-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

yep, an infrared remote is pretty much the only option. I do it frequently; press the button on the remote to open shutter, press it again to close shutter. Technically, your K-x is closer to a consumer DSLR than your K110D was, so things like the remote shutter jack were removed to keep the price low.
03-08-2010, 02:59 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
yep, an infrared remote is pretty much the only option. I do it frequently; press the button on the remote to open shutter, press it again to close shutter. Technically, your K-x is closer to a consumer DSLR than your K110D was, so things like the remote shutter jack were removed to keep the price low.
thank you GoremanX. I'll take a look on the 'Net for a wireless remote.

03-08-2010, 03:02 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
You need the infrared remote control as far as I can find in the manual; check page 81 of the manual, menu C2.

Advise; get an electronic copy of the manual; makes searching easy.
Your right Electronic manual is the way to go! Thank you for the quick reply - I'll check it out tonight. I actually have an old wireless remote from my k110 d
03-08-2010, 03:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by warrenstilwell Quote
thank you GoremanX. I'll take a look on the 'Net for a wireless remote.
Remember to look for infrared, like the Pentax F remote. RF remotes won't work on the K-x because they need a receiver that plugs into the remote shutter jack (which you don't have).

I bought my Pentax F remote from Pentaman on the marketplace of this forum. He frequently had them for sale for $10 or less, including shipping. Haven't seen them listed recently, but you could always ask. They're brand new, in the box.

Others prefer 3rd party ones for the slightly longer reach they may provide under bright sunlight conditions.