Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2010, 01:23 PM   #1
Forum Member

Vierfinder question

I just got my K7 (yay me!!!)

Anyway, I just finished setting everything up everything looks good, but

When I look through the viewfinder, it's not crystal clear as such. It's like there is a thin plastic film somewhere that I'm supposed to remove or something. I can see everything clearly enough and can use the camera without trouble, it's just one of those little things I noticed and thought I should ask about it.

Also, the only reason I even saw it was because I looked at a white wall and moved the camera.

Dunno, maybe it's supposed to be like that.

03-10-2010, 01:24 PM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does the K7 have the diopter corrector in it?

If so, spin it.
03-10-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
It has a slider but that's not it.

It looks like a matte finish almost, it's uniform in its appearance.

I just don't know what a defective part would look like.
03-10-2010, 01:50 PM   #4
pbo
Veteran Member

Maybe try wiping your viewfinder window?

03-10-2010, 02:09 PM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

Do you have another lens to check? Maybe it's the lens, or a smudge on the mirror.

Or maybe you just developed a cataract today, and it's a coincidence.
03-10-2010, 02:30 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yeah, it's not the window, that looks like it should. It's in the same place as the AF guide-lines.
03-10-2010, 02:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There's a reason why it's called a matte focusing screen
03-10-2010, 03:13 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
There's a reason why it's called a matte focusing screen
Ok, so that's the one that comes with the camera?

I feel like such a noob...

03-10-2010, 03:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ouroboros Quote
Ok, so that's the one that comes with the camera?

I feel like such a noob...
Don't feel bad. If your last camera was a point-and-shoot, it probably had an electronic viewfinder which can be any brightness the manufacturer chooses. Switching to a real DSLR can seem weird. But trust me, you'll learn to appreciate the optical viewfinder a lot more.
03-10-2010, 03:45 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
I guess I expected to see crystal clear optics through the finder, the pics come up sweet so it's not a lens or sensor fault. I'll get used to the way of doing things soon enough
03-10-2010, 04:55 PM   #11
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I guess I expected to see crystal clear optics through the finder, the pics come up sweet so it's not a lens or sensor fault. I'll get used to the way of doing things soon enough
Well, if it was crystal clear, then everything would look like it's in focus - and manual focusing using the screen would be almost impossible. Also, if you try and look at the screen itself (don't strain your eyes!) you'll see some concentric circles etched on it.
03-10-2010, 05:53 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I don't have the best eye sight in the world, so nearly everything that I see in the view finder is false. So with the smaller viewing screen that I have with the smaller DSLR viewfinder, I have to rely on the camera itself to give me an indication as to whether I've gotten a good focus or not. With the old 35's I could focus manually, (or visually, if you prefer) with not too much problem. But with the smaller DSLR viewfinders, I find that isn't as good. So, if your eyesight is similar to mine, the confirmation from the camera, has to be your main confirmation.
03-10-2010, 06:56 PM   #13
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by jimH Quote
I don't have the best eye sight in the world, so nearly everything that I see in the view finder is false. So with the smaller viewing screen that I have with the smaller DSLR viewfinder, I have to rely on the camera itself to give me an indication as to whether I've gotten a good focus or not. With the old 35's I could focus manually, (or visually, if you prefer) with not too much problem. But with the smaller DSLR viewfinders, I find that isn't as good. So, if your eyesight is similar to mine, the confirmation from the camera, has to be your main confirmation.
Hi: It is a change, for sure.

Have you adjusted your diopter so the LED's are their sharpest? When you have done that, you can trust your eyes more than the focus confirmation, especially suing manual fccus lenses.
03-10-2010, 09:22 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimH Quote
... With the old 35's I could focus manually, (or visually, if you prefer) with not too much problem. But with the smaller DSLR viewfinders, I find that isn't as good. So, if your eyesight is similar to mine, the confirmation from the camera, has to be your main confirmation.
I assume your old camera had a split focus screen. You are aware that you can buy 3rd party ones for most cameras? katzeye optics and focusingscreen.com are two names that I know.
03-12-2010, 12:32 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Actually, I believe without some sort of finish (liek the matte finish, the viewfinder would show no usable image at all - light would pass straight through it rather than forming an image. Kind of like shining a movie projector on a window instead of a wall.