Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2010, 05:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Sensor dust

Hello everybody!

So I was looking at some photos for editing in my pc and I noticed an ugly mole on the upper right corner of each photo(!).
This is my first dslr (K-x) after a long run with film slr and some p&s' so this is new to me, and I'm very surprised it happened so soon since I'm using the camera for about a month, mostly outdoors with moderate lens changing but I wouldn't say I've used it extensively.
I used the dust detection function and there were a few specs on the screen so I shook the sensor a few times and the next dust detection left only one ugly mole, which was the only one that bothered me to begin with so effectively non of it helped.
here's how my sensor looks right now:

My questions are: 1. what the hell can I do to get rid of that disgusting tumor?
2. how can I prevent this from happening?
3. who shot JFK?

edit: I understand that in most photo editing software there is a specific tool to remove these malicious specs. does anyone know how this can be made using Pentax utility or Lightroom 2.6?

Thanks,
Pablo

Last edited by Pablom; 03-10-2010 at 06:00 PM.
03-10-2010, 05:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
Hello everybody!

My questions are: 1. what the hell can I do to get rid of that disgusting tumor?
3. who shot JFK?

Thanks,
Pablo
1. Perhaps a blower might help but if not you could try one of these cleaning sticks: YouTube - Pentax O-ICK1 Image Sensor Cleaning Kit
They can be bought off ebay.
2. You can't prevent this from happening but you can do things to minimise the chances of this happening - being careful when changing lenses etc.
03-10-2010, 06:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GingerBeer Quote
1. Perhaps a blower might help but if not you could try one of these cleaning sticks: YouTube - Pentax O-ICK1 Image Sensor Cleaning Kit
They can be bought off ebay.
well that's what the manual says. I was hoping for some other creative solution if there is any
QuoteOriginally posted by GingerBeer Quote
2. You can't prevent this from happening but you can do things to minimise the chances of this happening - being careful when changing lenses etc.
I thought I was careful I don't know how I got this stain in just one month of use
03-10-2010, 06:35 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A blower such as the giotto rocket should do the trick. Do not use canned air or compressed air from a compressor. If not, I recommend sensor swabs plus from Photographic Solutions.

03-10-2010, 06:44 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

FWIW, I've been using canned gas for 6 1/2 years for cleaning DSLR sensors. I think the warnings about it damaging the camera is an urban myth.
Don't use compressed air from a compressor though, as moisture and/or oil tends to spray out of them.
03-10-2010, 07:42 PM   #6

I just tryed using a can of Dust Off on my K10D and it worked! 2 or 3 short blasts at around 6 inches.
03-11-2010, 07:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys,

I think I'll get myself a blower thingy to start with and come back with results.

03-11-2010, 02:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AOShep Quote
I just tryed using a can of Dust Off on my K10D and it worked! 2 or 3 short blasts at around 6 inches.
worth pointing out that this isn't recommended. I do it too, but you're not supposed to.
03-15-2010, 04:14 PM   #9
Inactive Account

I've been using the blower and it works perfectly.
03-19-2010, 03:34 AM   #10

Pablom:

Did you get the dirt off the sensor. I am having the same problem with my K-x. It happen on my first outing too. I got several dust spot that a bulb blower does not remove.

Did you get your problem solved? What methods did you tried?

Toro
03-19-2010, 04:14 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Toro Quote
Pablom:

Did you get the dirt off the sensor. I am having the same problem with my K-x. It happen on my first outing too. I got several dust spot that a bulb blower does not remove.

Toro
If a blower does not work then use (as recommended above) a sensor stick/swab.
03-19-2010, 08:38 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
Hello everybody!

So I was looking at some photos for editing in my pc and I noticed an ugly mole on the upper right corner of each photo(!).
This is my first dslr (K-x) after a long run with film slr and some p&s' so this is new to me, and I'm very surprised it happened so soon since I'm using the camera for about a month, mostly outdoors with moderate lens changing but I wouldn't say I've used it extensively.
I used the dust detection function and there were a few specs on the screen so I shook the sensor a few times and the next dust detection left only one ugly mole, which was the only one that bothered me to begin with so effectively non of it helped.
here's how my sensor looks right now:

3. who shot JFK?

edit: I understand that in most photo editing software there is a specific tool to remove these malicious specs. does anyone know how this can be made using Pentax utility or Lightroom 2.6?

Thanks,
Pablo
  1. Sometimes this procedure will do the trick. If not you will need to use a sensor cleaning kit with wet swabs or sticky tips. Follow the instructions exactly for the swab/sticky. Do not take short cuts. Replacing the sensor is quite expensive!
    1. In a clean, static free area, such as your bathroom, Remove lens
    2. Turn camera mount side down
    3. Run Dust Removal shaker several times
    4. Replace lens
    5. Check for dust
  2. You cannot prevent this from happening, but you can reduce the number of times it happens significantly.
    1. Always turn off the camera before removing the lens. This reduces the static charge on the sensor that attracts dust.
    2. Always keep the mount turned down. More of the dust will fall away from the camera this way.
    3. Turn on the power on dust removal. This shakes some of the dust off the sensor that seems to get in there despite the weather sealing of my camera and lenses.
    4. Do your best to change lenses in a protective position. I have not yet started to carry my old film changing bag around, but I'm getting tempted by a stubborn spot I got recently.
  3. Unknown assailant(s).
  4. With Lightroom 2.x to fix the spots,
    1. Go to the develop module.
    2. Under the histogram, select the O-> icon.
    3. Move the mouse cursor, which has become a circle to the spot.
    4. Use the bracket keys [ and ] to size the circle to include a little bit more than the spot.
    5. Click the mouse.
    6. Move the area selected by LR if you need to.
    7. [Esc] or click O-> again.
    8. Presto changeo, the spot is gone!
    9. You can then apply this correction to all the shots you took since the spot showed up. The [Help] system will give you the details of how this works.
03-20-2010, 01:28 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Toro Quote
Pablom:

Toro
I actually haven't tried the blower yet since I didn't have the time to get one but I will soon and see if that works. I really don't want to start messing with a swab, I'll probably prefer sending it to a lab.
Meanwhile that spot did reduce a little after a few dozen shakes but I think I reached the limit with it.
dust 11.3:

dust 20.3:

edit: well, maybe it didn't reduce

Last edited by Pablom; 03-20-2010 at 02:18 PM.
03-20-2010, 02:25 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
  1. Sometimes this procedure will do the trick. If not you will need to use a sensor cleaning kit with wet swabs or sticky tips. Follow the instructions exactly for the swab/sticky. Do not take short cuts. Replacing the sensor is quite expensive!
    1. In a clean, static free area, such as your bathroom, Remove lens
    2. Turn camera mount side down
    3. Run Dust Removal shaker several times
    4. Replace lens
    5. Check for dust
  2. You cannot prevent this from happening, but you can reduce the number of times it happens significantly.
    1. Always turn off the camera before removing the lens. This reduces the static charge on the sensor that attracts dust.
    2. Always keep the mount turned down. More of the dust will fall away from the camera this way.
    3. Turn on the power on dust removal. This shakes some of the dust off the sensor that seems to get in there despite the weather sealing of my camera and lenses.
    4. Do your best to change lenses in a protective position. I have not yet started to carry my old film changing bag around, but I'm getting tempted by a stubborn spot I got recently.
  3. Unknown assailant(s).
  4. With Lightroom 2.x to fix the spots,
    1. Go to the develop module.
    2. Under the histogram, select the O-> icon.
    3. Move the mouse cursor, which has become a circle to the spot.
    4. Use the bracket keys [ and ] to size the circle to include a little bit more than the spot.
    5. Click the mouse.
    6. Move the area selected by LR if you need to.
    7. [Esc] or click O-> again.
    8. Presto changeo, the spot is gone!
    9. You can then apply this correction to all the shots you took since the spot showed up. The [Help] system will give you the details of how this works.
1) tried it - still the same I guess mine's a sticky
2) guess I'll have to be more careful than. I got used to change lenses quite a lot, it never bothered me too much, in film I seldom got the mirror dirty but I didn't really mind because the photos were clear but I guess this is a totally diferent ball game.
3) how about that Lee Harvey Oswald fellow, didn't he have something to do with it?
4) thanks, that is very helpfull and much simpler than I thought
03-20-2010, 06:31 PM   #15
Inactive Account

You probably need one of these..

YouTube - Pentax O-ICK1 Image Sensor Cleaning Kit

It's the only thing that's ever worked for me in removing the stuborn dusties..