Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2010, 05:31 PM   #1

Magazines

Just curious...what photography magazines do you subscribe to and why? Thus far I have sx to:

Outdoor Photographer
Digital Photo
Popular Photography
Shutterbug

Am I missing anything (as a novice)? My mind is like a sponge right now so that's why I'm sx to anything I can get my hands on.

03-11-2010, 06:25 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I haven't subscribed to any because they're all Nakonin and with a touch of advertisements on every page...

There's a couple that I've been keeping an eye out on but never had the chance to subscribe. They're kind of pricey, they're more higher-end with minimal to no-ads and good reading.

News Photographer: Amazon.com: Magazines

B&W: Black & White Magazine: Amazon.com: Magazines

Photo District News: Amazon.com: Magazines

Then there's always National Geographic, then even women's fashion magazine would make a good one for the strobists and fashion photographers out there.
03-12-2010, 07:18 AM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ahhhhh...the old days of killing trees, and waiting for my Popular Photography and Modern Photography to arrive in the mail!

I would read the price lists in those ads until my eyes were burning red.
03-12-2010, 10:40 AM   #4

I get Shutterbug in the mail, and often pick up others at the newsstand. B&W is good for inspiration (no technique though), Lenswork is pretty good, and the newly revised Photo Technique is good as well.

03-12-2010, 02:21 PM   #5
Damn Brit

Popular Photography is a waste of time, just subscribe to the online version.
Digital Photo and Shutterbug I have no experience of.
Outdoor Photographer seems to be quite balanced, has some interesting articles and doesn't seem too ad heavy.
03-12-2010, 06:23 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I generally get Shutterbug and Outdoor Photography most months. Got to have something to read in the bathropom.
03-12-2010, 10:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
High Performance Pontiac... best Pontiac pictures ever captured. Those guys take their Pontiac pictures seriously. Of course, the only time they actually feature photography articles is when they're telling you how best to photograph your car for submissions Maybe it's not really a photography magazine after all, but I don't care, it's the best magazine ever written.
03-13-2010, 04:47 AM   #8

there is photographyBB, a free online mag (pdf), which is very good too

04-09-2010, 07:56 AM   #9

Outdoor Photographer *thumbs up*

I'm also going to brace the flame here by mentioning another online resource that tends to be loved or hated - http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech.htm
In the midst of ramblings I found some of the best advice.

I read some photography magazines from Hong Kong, but mostly I just buy books on the subject so I don't have to deal w/ the ads.
04-09-2010, 09:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Pop photo and shutterbug.
Shutterbug though have tons of adverts and are more inclined towards the Canikon brands.
I just buy the other mags at the newstands if they have an article I like although I tend to buy those that have to do with technical or something to do with Photoshop techniques.
I re-subcribed to Shutterbug when they gave me a very low subscription rate for 2 years..same as with Popular Photography.
I occationally buy Phototechniques.
04-09-2010, 09:52 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Not a true Photo Mag but National Wildlife Magazine is inspirational
04-09-2010, 12:06 PM   #12

I just received my first issue of Poplar Photography. The subscription was a gift but I'm disappointed with the mag... Though I'll never tell my wife...
Next year I'll drop hints well before Christmas of other magazines I would prefer.
Len
04-09-2010, 02:32 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I usually buy Outdoor Photographer but really love my subscriptions to Nat Geo and Smithsonian
04-09-2010, 04:49 PM   #14
Veteran Member

The only one I have any interest in is the BJP.

All the others just run the same articles in rotation, or highlight photographers we already know about. The internet is a much better resource, isn't full of ads, and costs nothing but time.
04-09-2010, 06:46 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Applianceguy Quote
I just received my first issue of Poplar Photography. The subscription was a gift but I'm disappointed with the mag... Though I'll never tell my wife...
Next year I'll drop hints well before Christmas of other magazines I would prefer.
Len
Never heard of that particular magazine; Sounds like it would be limited to photo enthusiasts of a rapidly growing softwood tree of the willow family. I like the wider scope and appeal of Popular Photography!!

Just kidding! Too easy on a quiet night!