Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2010, 08:57 PM   #1
Inactive Account

KX Is Here....Now What?

I am a new DSLR owner (today). After using point and shoot cameras for the the past few years, I have made the leap. Aside from all of the info available here, what recommendations can anyone make as far as photagraphy books/guides that I should buy to learn from? Any help is most appreciated! I have the kit lenses:
18-55 and 55-300. Also I have Ps3 that I am not very familiar with. I have never shot in raw before, so I need to learn how to deal with that format.

Cheers,

Craig

03-11-2010, 09:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hello Craig,

K-x manual is a good place to start. From P&S you are probably already familiar with ISO, aperture, shutter, trailing curtain flash, etc. Some people recommend Program Mode on K-x as a place to start.

My K-x doesn't handle saving in Raw well, when I take mult shots. Sometimes it saves files with bottom chopped off. Maybe I need to get it in for a repair.
03-11-2010, 09:41 PM   #3
Igilligan

Shoot Jpeg for a bit... get used to the user interface / controls of the camera. Raw can come in time

congrats on the camera... like my Kx and 55-300 a lot!
03-11-2010, 10:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cjbigcog Quote
I am a new DSLR owner (today). After using point and shoot cameras for the the past few years, I have made the leap. Aside from all of the info available here, what recommendations can anyone make as far as photagraphy books/guides that I should buy to learn from? Any help is most appreciated! I have the kit lenses:
18-55 and 55-300. Also I have Ps3 that I am not very familiar with. I have never shot in raw before, so I need to learn how to deal with that format.

Cheers,

Craig

Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson is a good book for new comers in the DSLR world .

03-12-2010, 12:11 AM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to dSLR photography.
Start with the absolute basics so you can understand the fundamentals that photography bases itself on - the exposure triad.
e.g. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photography-articles/23232-learning-basic...echniques.html and https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photography-articles/39743-understanding-...-kit-lens.html

Then ensure you know how to use the K-x to the best of its abilities by reading the manual thoroughly.

After that, there's little you won't be able to capture with your camera.
03-12-2010, 07:47 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Upgrade the Firmware before you do anything else.
03-12-2010, 11:37 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for all of your responses! Now I have a better idea of how to get started.
03-16-2010, 10:19 PM   #8
Forum Member

manual

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoso Quote
Hello Craig,
K-x manual is a good place to start.
I agree completely, the manual is the best starting point. The k-x was my first digital SLR, and the manual was crucial! Don't expect to absorb everything from the manual the first time you look through it either. I actually carried mine around with me for the first couple months, and even as I speak right now, it is sitting face down on my desk propped open to the "green button" section. I go back to it anytime I am confused about something. Its not the best for explanations, but if you read something and are still confused. Ask the forums.

The best place to learn though, is through experimentation. Take pictures. Take pictures of everything. Use different settings. Test different modes. Etc. Like anything practice is everything.

Have fun!