Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2010, 03:15 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If I were you I'd use the batteries that the manual recommends. Then, if there's a problem (and it's a big if, this mirror slap thing certainly doesn't happen in all cameras nor all the time so it hasn't been proven conclusively), Pentax cannot claim you used the wrong battery.

Shake reduction isn't 100% reliable. I have the big brother to this camera and you know, it just seems to vary. It will improve your hitrate (ie more sharp shots at say 1/15) but it won't mean it's 10/10 at that speed. No system can guarantee that as far as I know.

03-12-2010, 03:35 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Renmanova Quote
Thanks for the reply!

with regards to the batteries, i used the new lithium aa battery that CAME with the camera! i'll be pretty sad if it happens again T_T

also, i took some pictures in AF with SR on, and it appears that some photos are more blurred than others... i attached some cropped out photos to illustrate. is it me? i thought SR could at least compensate for some movements :/ any suggestions?
First another serious suggestion: take time to read the manual before using the camera for any serious purpose. An hour or so spent reading the manual will greatly improve your understanding of it, help you take better photos, and make you more confident in using your equipment.

In relation to this, you will note that the manual says [p-128]:

QuoteQuote:
The Shake Reduction function may not fully reduce camera shake when taking close-up shots. In this case, it is recommended that the Shake Reduction function be turned off and the camera be used with a tripod.
Also note that shake reduction technology doesn't mean it is now impossible for anyone to take blurry photos under all conditions due to camera shake (or subject movement). It can't do that.

Re filters: you don't need one for day-to-day use of your lenses. They are more trouble than they are worth, and will likely cause you image quality and auto-focus problems.
03-12-2010, 03:50 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
hi everyone! thanks for the quick replies and helpful hints!

yes I realized I took some pictures too fast and did not wait for the SR light in some cases. it looks more consistently blur-free now, although sometimes it would be a bit out of focus, but that's probably a macro issue.

another noob question, is that given everything is in AF, SR, automode, when you have dim lighting (such as when you are shooting against the lamp/light) it is much easier to get blurred photos right? i snapped some pictures of myself against the lamp and I have to say most of them came out pretty blurry... (even with SR light on and everything)... .... and one came out blurry even with flash on!

do i turn up the iso or shutterspeed? any suggestions? lol, for now, im off to read the manual...
03-12-2010, 03:55 PM   #19
Damn Brit

SR only helps you so far. The slower the shutter speed, the more likely you will get blurred images from camera shake. To ensure good images in low light, a tripod is the best way to go.

I'm moving this thread to Beginners Corner because you're asking a lot of noob questions and this thread should benefit more people there.

03-12-2010, 05:06 PM   #20
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are shooting in P (program) mode, it will automatically set EVERYTHING, including the ISO/sensitivity. I recommended you only shoot in P mode for a few hours so you can easily eliminate any problem issues you may be encountering. (However, Petax's shake reduction is a GODSEND, allowing you to shoot at slow shutter speeds unthinkable just a few years ago.)

Aside from the "Picture" modes like sports, portrait, etc.--which I recommend you avoid like the plague in order to learn--the other automatic modes like Av (aperture priority) and Tv (shutter priority), as well as manual, allow you to set your ISO, and it's never changed on the fly. The camera adjusts either aperture or shutter speed based on your "commanding it" to stick with that ISO.

In Av mode, you are commanding the camera to shoot at this aperture, it will adjust the shutter speed for proper exposure, and also hold your ISO command regardless of the light conditions.

In Tv mode, you are commanding the camera to shoot at this shutter speed, it will adjust the aperture for proper exposure, and also hold your ISO command.

In Program and those Picture modes, it does whatever it thinks it has to do, but you didn't buy a camera for it to command YOU, did you?
03-12-2010, 05:25 PM   #21

Photos: Albums
Doesn't the k-x have Sv, where the dial sets iso and shutter/aperture are automatic? And can't you set iso to be the secondary (when you hold ev comp down and turn) dial function in Av and Tv modes?
03-14-2010, 03:08 PM   #22
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Renmanova Quote

another noob question, is that given everything is in AF, SR, automode, when you have dim lighting (such as when you are shooting against the lamp/light) it is much easier to get blurred photos right? i snapped some pictures of myself against the lamp and I have to say most of them came out pretty blurry... (even with SR light on and everything)... .... and one came out blurry even with flash on!
Did you use the remote to take the pictures of yourself?

By default, the remote shutter release does not re-focus. So you should pre-focus or change the AF with Remote Control setting (Menu C-11)

03-16-2010, 10:12 PM   #23
Forum Member

voodoo magic

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
You may never know you had a problem unless you go looking for one real hard.
After reading this thread it all sounds like voodoo to me. Is there some sort of proper "opening ceremony" I need to go through for a new camera?

I was unaware