Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2010, 06:48 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
"Yes" or "No" Question...

Hi, I bought a new Kx online (which I was advised by Pentax customer service to return due to a battery issue that was not fixed after the new firmware was installed).

I 'm curious to know if I received a "new" camera back, or if I was sent a return item from a previous customer.

Here's the "Yes or No" question... when you buy a new Kx, does it have a protective sticker that you peel off the LCD screen?

Mine didn't, not sure if this is a red flag .

I'm a little skeptical also because the mirror seems to be a little dirty... I think I could clean the camera but was curious if my return item was swapped with someone else’s returned item. Thanks so much!

Last edited by Marc; 03-13-2010 at 09:49 AM.
03-13-2010, 09:20 AM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine didn't.
03-13-2010, 09:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Marc,

Surely the invoice you received with your original purchase has the serial numbers of the camera and the lens. Or the dealer must have that record.

Mickey
03-13-2010, 09:50 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I would run a photo from it through PhtooMe PhotoME - Exif, IPTC & ICC Metadata Editor

If the number of shots taken is less than say 400 or so, it should be OK. If over 1000, it is probably refurbished or used. Anyway, that would be my best guess and might be an easy way for you to check and be sure.

03-13-2010, 09:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

My new Km did not have a protective screen on the LCD display when I got it. But I think the shutter count would be a good indication of relatively new camera or not. Anything below 1000 I think would be considered generally new.
03-13-2010, 10:40 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ok... I downloaded PhotoME.

Is the total number of shots taken listed as "Shutter Count"? Thanks so much for your help!
03-13-2010, 11:14 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for your help!!!

I checked the "Shutter Count" on PhotoMe and it read 142. Never knew you could retrieve this info. Much appreciated!!!
03-13-2010, 01:10 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Quote
Thanks for your help!!!

I checked the "Shutter Count" on PhotoMe and it read 142. Never knew you could retrieve this info. Much appreciated!!!
Just for your comfort, new dSLR's are put throught a factory test of up to 200 +/- shutter actuations as a burn in - the idea being, if something is wrong it is most likely to present itself in the first few cycles. 142 clicks is probably on the LOW end of expectation for a brand new K-x.

03-13-2010, 01:25 PM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

On this same subject:

Isn't it nothing for Pentax to wipe the activations clean if they wanted to? Or someone dubious who REALLY wants to?
03-13-2010, 02:41 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
On this same subject:

Isn't it nothing for Pentax to wipe the activations clean if they wanted to? Or someone dubious who REALLY wants to?
  • First of all - that would be outright fraud. No company's reputation would survive the CBS 60 Minutes expose' or the (name your State) Attorney General (sensationalist) investigation.
  • How would Pentax get the camera back from the dealer?
  • How much would they have to pay the person who did that, and repacked the item in as-new box?
  • How would they get the re-packed cameras back into the supply chain?
  • Why would Pentax do that? They can't make enough money to afford the business risk.
They're much better off taking back defective items from the retailers, gathering them at the regional warehouse and selling them in lots to "refurbishers," who market them as refurbished. A refurbisher is subject to the same business risks as an OEM Vendor.

Any expected loss Pentax might take on such is built into the dealer cost.