Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2010, 10:16 AM   #1

SDHC cards

Hi folks. I currently have a 4GB memory card in my K20D. I'd like to get something a little bit bigger, maybe an 8 or 16. What brand would you recommend? I want to start playing with RAW so that's why I'm looking for a larger card. The one I have now is a Sandisc.

As always, thanks for your input.

03-13-2010, 10:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
'brand' is not that important to me, just make sure it is a quality card, any that list the card speed will help ensure you get a faster card for writing those large RAW files: Secure Digital - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
03-13-2010, 10:54 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote
'brand' is not that important to me, just make sure it is a quality card, any that list the card speed will help ensure you get a faster card for writing those large RAW files: Secure Digital - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Okay how do I know if it is a quality card or not and what speed should I look for? :-D
03-13-2010, 11:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Best Buy is going to have the Sandisk Ultra II 8GB SDHC for sale tomorrow for $29.99.
I wouldn't trust Ebay too much, a friend of mine used to work with Sandisk, he was told there were a lot fake memory cards on Ebay, be aware.

03-13-2010, 11:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Ok here is where the math gets interesting...
A quality card is really any you get from a decent seller(hit up your fav ebay camera guy or the local camera store), but since all things electronic can fail I would look at two 6x 8GB vs 1 6x16GB cards, really 6x is over kill for your camera, but if you ever wanted to shoot video it might be nice, or just get the 4x.

Price per MB/GB is often cheaper across 2 or 3 cards than one larger card, plus if that one card fails you could lose all your photos from the day vs the recent ones.

So ask yourself if you will more likely lose a card not in the body or risk losing everything and buy accordingly...
03-13-2010, 02:05 PM   #7
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Naturenut Quote
Hi folks. I currently have a 4GB memory card in my K20D. I'd like to get something a little bit bigger, maybe an 8 or 16. What brand would you recommend? I want to start playing with RAW so that's why I'm looking for a larger card. The one I have now is a Sandisc.

As always, thanks for your input.
Many people recommend Sandisk. See numerous threads in DPreview.com for example. There have been a number of 'incidents' with other cheaper brands.

If you do video and continous shooting, the Sandisk Extreme III is very good quality. Its transfer rate (30 Mb/s) ensure (a) a smooth, rapid writing that enables (b) to keep the buffer memory use low. The latter is relevant because the video will stop, and the continuous shooring will slow down, when the buffer memory is full.

I use a Sandisk Extreme III 16 Gb. It was not cheap when I bought it, but the price are continuously dropping. I have had no problem and I heard many others recommending this type of card.

Hope that the comment will help ...
03-13-2010, 02:10 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Many people recommend Sandisk. See numerous threads in DPreview.com for example. There have been a number of 'incidents' with other cheaper brands.

If you do video and continous shooting, the Sandisk Extreme III is very good quality. Its transfer rate (30 Mb/s) ensure (a) a smooth, rapid writing that enables (b) to keep the buffer memory use low. The latter is relevant because the video will stop, and the continuous shooring will slow down, when the buffer memory is full.

I use a Sandisk Extreme III 16 Gb. It was not cheap when I bought it, but the price are continuously dropping. I have had no problem and I heard many others recommending this type of card.

Hope that the comment will help ...
I use the same Sandisk in my K7 (except 8gb). The K20 doesn't do video so it's kind of overkill. For the K20d, something like the Transcend 8Gb C6 I pointed to is fine.

03-14-2010, 04:16 AM   #9
Veteran Member

And put a tiny spot of super glue on the lock tab to keep it in the unlocked position, 'cause if it comes out the card will read locked,[it is the position of the tab as "seen" by the built in card reader in your camera that decides if it is locked]
I have lost three cards, two sandisc,and one lexer due to this tab falling out. I also second the by 2 x 4 gig rather than one 8 gig card for the failure reason.
Alistair
04-09-2010, 01:20 PM   #10

Normally I'd recommend Kingston, both from personal experience and from industry reputation... but a while ago I heard that Kingston started using re-branded Sandisk cards (somebody disassembled some Kingston SD cards).

I'm not saying that undesirable, since I've had good experience with Sandisk memories as well, but this does complicates things a little. Still, my first choice is Kingston when it comes to memories if it's priced reasonably.

Currently I use a Transcend 8GB in my K-7, bought it on sale
04-09-2010, 01:35 PM   #11
Pentaxian

As long as it is a quality brand it does not matter - there are only a few manufacturing plants (Toshiba who makes Sandisk, Panasonic etc.) making those SD cards. I would focus getting one when there is a sale on the quality brands (Sandisk, Lexar, Kingston and Panasonic). I have recently bought two-16GB Panasonic (class 10) cards for half the price from Prodigital2000. It is likely a batch from the 2010 Winter Olympic games media team members - treated as refurbished but good as new though.
04-09-2010, 05:25 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I think any Sandisk Ultra card will do. I have the Ultra II in my K20D and it works great when I am shooting fast action shots.
04-09-2010, 06:08 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Been using a Transcend 16GB for some time, no problem. Currenty is about $38.
Amazon.com: Transcend 16 GB Class 6 SDHC Flash Memory Card TS16GSDHC6E [Amazon Frustration-Free Packaging]: Computer & Accessories

I got it for $35 with a reader at the time. I also have some Transcend 8GB, Ultra II's up to maybe 4 GB, small Lexar 60X Platinum, and a Kingston or two.

Last edited by SpecialK; 04-09-2010 at 08:49 PM.
04-09-2010, 08:01 PM   #14

Lexar, Kingston and Sandisk (Black or red, not the blue ones).

Hint: These cards all have lifetime warranties.

If a manufacturer is not offering a lifetime warranty on something like a card which is solid state and has no moving parts, ask yourself why.

I know people who constantly have problems with memory cards, it is usually because they do not pay enough

- Itai
Digital Camera Buying Guide, Photography Articles and Reviews | NeoCamera.com
04-09-2010, 08:28 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Cards are one of those things that I buy off the shelf brand name from a known retailer.
I get my cards from my local camera store, and I only buy Sandisk cards.