Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2010, 10:28 AM   #16
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
That looks like a problem with the lights being out of phase when you were shooting.
I've had the same thing happen when shooting under florescent lights.
Yep. Accounts for the exposure difference and color shift. Generally this does not occur at shutter speeds below 1/30th of a second, but that isn't practical for sports. Just shoot RAW and fix it in PP.

04-05-2010, 11:26 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jaboney Quote
I got far better results after manually adjusting the white balance. Better results again after installing the latest firmware. Unsurprisingly, I got VASTLY better results this weekend when the arena hosted a major tournament and turned on ALL the lights, rather than 25% of them as they usually do.
Hey those shots looks great!

...but, how come the Canadiens took the "C" off their jerseys?
04-05-2010, 09:28 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Just shoot RAW and fix it in PP.
Oh, I do shoot RAW. But I'll take maybe up to 1,000 shots on a weekend. If the white balance is inconsistent, that means sorting and separately adjusting hundreds of photos. Given time constraints and the frustrations of editing these 14 mb files on an iMac with only 2 gb of RAM, that's not very practical. Also, I'm never as happy with the final result if the initial shot requires too much color adjustment.

(Of course, there may be a PS trick I'm missing. No doubt my workflow could be improved.)

The team in the Canadiens uniforms are the Taiwanese national team. They won the tournament with a 3-2 victory over the UAE squad.

Last edited by Jaboney; 04-05-2010 at 09:41 PM.
04-06-2010, 07:18 AM   #19
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh, I do shoot RAW. But I'll take maybe up to 1,000 shots on a weekend. If the white balance is inconsistent, that means sorting and separately adjusting hundreds of photos. Given time constraints and the frustrations of editing these 14 mb files on an iMac with only 2 gb of RAM, that's not very practical. Also, I'm never as happy with the final result if the initial shot requires too much color adjustment.

(Of course, there may be a PS trick I'm missing. No doubt my workflow could be improved.)

The team in the Canadiens uniforms are the Taiwanese national team. They won the tournament with a 3-2 victory over the UAE squad.
If all of the photos were taken under the same lights, you should only need to find the correct setting for one of them and the apply that setting to all of them at once in PP.

04-06-2010, 09:43 AM   #20

Original Poster
Yeah, that's what I figured. But if you look at the first post in the thread, you'll see that the colour changed significantly in under a second.

Oh, and the lights are tungsten, not florescent.
04-06-2010, 11:52 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I think the camera choose different WB's for all those pictures, but if the light didn't change, then it *should* be a simple matter of choosing one WB for the whole lot of them. Either by using a WB preset in camera (and settig the option to restrict the camera's leeway in interpreting that preset), or apply a single WB in PP. Either way, you should have perfectly consistent color with essentially no extra work.
04-06-2010, 12:13 PM   #22
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, that's what I figured. But if you look at the first post in the thread, you'll see that the colour changed significantly in under a second.

Oh, and the lights are tungsten, not florescent.
The color of the lights didn't change. Don't use the wand to correct color. Use the temperature and tint sliders. Once you determine what the color temperature and tint is for those lights, you can apply that to all of the pictures.