Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2010, 01:53 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
problems with photoshop

I really have an annoying problem. I shoot a photo in monochrome and when i try to work it out in photoshop, my photo apears in colors. Somebody coul tell me what should i do?

03-14-2010, 02:38 AM   #2
Forum Member

Are you shooting RAW?
If so, in-camera B&W setting is just a tag in EXIF... which Photoshop (and any other RAW converter except the one supplied by Pentax) is ignoring.

(this doesn't apply to colour settings tags only, but to everything except basic exposure settings, AFAIK)
03-14-2010, 09:09 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Do your monochrome conversion in Photoshop.
03-14-2010, 10:18 PM   #4

Original Poster
Photoshop

Yes I'm shooting in raw and I have the same problem not just when i shoot in black and white but in other types of monochrome too. Thank you for suggestions!

03-15-2010, 04:11 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
If you're shooting in RAW, you can't be shooting in monochrome. The RAW data is the actual data coming out of the RGB sensor. Setting the camera to B&W, sepia, etc. are simply instructions for the camera toi follow when it is performing its internal RAW to JPG conversion. But in any event, your image is being collected on a color sensor, and the RAW file is a reflection of that.
03-15-2010, 08:49 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Like everyone else said: "Raw" is color data, regardless of what "mode" you use when shooting (and what appears on your camera screen). The sepia, or B/W, or "IR" looks are done with in-camera processing.

If you shoot in RAW and want to "preserve" the in-camera processing that is shown on your camera's LCD (like monochrome or other effects that aren't part of an in-camera raw conversion), you should process the raw files with the Pentax Photo Lab (silkypix) software included with your camera. It will read the in-camera effects and apply them automatically to the Raw file to start with... Photoshop won't.

Another option would be to set your camera to RAW+JPEG (if you have that option), and the JPEG ones will have the monochrome or whatever effect already applied to them, while the RAW will have all the original color data.

Best suggestion yet was Wheatfield's: do the conversion again in Photoshop with Adobe Camera Raw converter - it rocks!

Last edited by panoguy; 03-15-2010 at 08:56 AM.
03-16-2010, 02:52 AM   #7

Original Poster

Hey! Thank you all for your suggestions. Yes, I may use the pentax software when I shoot in monochrome, especially other types than black and white. I know it's not extraordinary, but it works. I didn't know that the raw file recognize only colours. That's important! A nice day for u all!

03-16-2010, 07:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Just edit it is photoshop and convert to B&W then edit from there.
PhotoShop has lots more options that in-camera editing.
03-17-2010, 07:00 AM   #9
graphicgr8s

When you convert in PS remember to convert the mode to grayscale. Otherwise PS tries to make gray out of all four colors. Just desaturating is fine for online if you print you must change the mode so you only have a gray color channel.