Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2010, 02:21 PM   #16
jas

Original Poster
Well i had some time this afternoon to try some of the great suggestions i received. I was having a hard time following some of them as alot of abbreviations were being used that dont translate well in the beginners forum sometimes, but i took what i could get of course.
The lighting conditions were much better as you can see and by paying attention to the green hex and of course speeding up the shutter i think i was able to achieve much sharper images. The AF was set to the upper most position (above SEL) and the IS was enabled too. Please take a look and post any suggestions., I greatly appreciate it. Im very happy with the results but curious as to what else i could have done to improve. Also i did enhance again in Lightroom. Is it possible that im limited by the lens im using(da 55-300)? I know not the best Telephoto lens out there, but picked it up cheap for starting off. Im really interested in shooting wildlife and would like to pursue it and improve my techniques.

All three of these images were taken using the same settings but different iso as i was shooting in TAv- 300mm, 1/640, 5.8.

iso 320 subject about 15 ft away, and this one was taken using AF. Seems like the branch in the upper right corner is crystal clear. More so than the subject which is what i was focusing on.

iso 500, about 20 ft away, taken with AF.

iso 400. about 25 ft away taken with MF.

03-16-2010, 04:38 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Hey, those look much better!

See, that 55-300 ain't so bad after all! Sorry for the abbreviations -- most of them will be in the index of your camera manual. But it looks like you're nailing the technique. Congrats.
03-16-2010, 04:40 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think those pictures look sharp, colourful and gorgeous.
03-16-2010, 06:12 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Loads better shots. Looks like you're getting a handle on it now.

03-16-2010, 07:14 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Vast improvement! I have that lens and f8 is where I get my sharpest shots. I also back off the long end just a bit.
03-16-2010, 09:27 PM   #21
jas

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the help. Its alot of information to soak in when your fist getting started. I just needed to be put back on track.
RioRico, not a problem, I figured all i had to do was search a bit to help translate your posts, But very helpful indeed. Also im going to try shooting around F8 like Bogiesbad mentioned. I was wondering if there was a sweetspot in the aperture that could yield sharper images.
03-16-2010, 10:33 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Setting the Program Line to MTF and using P mode should give you that sweet spot.
03-17-2010, 11:35 AM   #23
jas

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Setting the Program Line to MTF and using P mode should give you that sweet spot.
Thanks for the suggestion, Ill give that a try.

03-17-2010, 11:54 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Jas, something else to try. I would try to use TAv mode (make sure you have enough shutter speed and also DOF) and use MF and catch-in-focus (I like this a lot especially when the shutter is fast enough).
03-17-2010, 11:58 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Jas, something else to try. I would try to use TAv mode (make sure you have enough shutter speed and also DOF) and use MF and catch-in-focus (I like this a lot especially when the shutter is fast enough).
I don't think catch-in-focus will work for birds and critters in trees.

Last edited by audiobomber; 03-17-2010 at 12:07 PM.
03-17-2010, 12:04 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I don't think catch-in-focus will work for birds in trees.
Hi, audiobomber, I was referring to the turkey shot... not in the crowded area since it too easy to catch in focus of a tree branch.
03-17-2010, 01:37 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
In prior discussions on these forums, noted savants disagree as to whether to 'normalize' by including the crop factor.
This isn't really true. The facts of the matter clear speak in favor of considering the crop factor - otherwise, as has been mentioned, you could easily handhold a superzoom P&S with no stabilization). I don't know of any "savants" who would deny, once it's been pointed out and they've had an opportunity to consider the facts, that FOV is the true factor here, not focal length. The only debate is over the extent to which a rule of thumb like this is precise enough to be worth quibbling over differences of 1.5X or not. That's where we get into the whole issue of variation in steadiness between photographers, of the effectiveness of SR, of differences in standards of sharpness, of size of the image being viewed, viewing distance, visual acuity, etc. There's lots of room for debate on the subject as a whole, but none on the subject of whether the "crop factor" applies or not. It clearly does.

QuoteQuote:
So I'd humbly follow in Ansel's footsteps and test, test, test.
Yeah, that's the right bottom line.
03-17-2010, 01:55 PM   #28
Pentaxian

The 1/fov rule of thumb is not a panacea. It's just a guideline for choosing a minimum shutter speed. I break the rule all the time, but it helps to know the recommended shutter speed as a check.