Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2010, 12:24 PM   #1

P mode useless on k200d?

Hi all,

Just wondering if someone can explain the advantage of using "P" mode on the K200d (or any camera with only 1 dial).

I checked the manual but all i can figure is that you set it to either Av, Tv, or auto through the custom settings menu. If this is the case, why not just turn the mode dial to that mode?

The manual says that P mode "automatically sets shutter speed and aperture to the proper exposure according to the Program line when taking pictures." So, in the custom settings mode we have 4 options:

1. Program shift: Automatically adjusts aperture and shutter speed to obtain proper exposure. I dont notice any difference between this and Av, except that it won't allow you to select an aperture that would put the shutter speed above 1/4000 (k200d max)

2. Tv: switches to Tv when e-dial is turned. why not use Tv mode?

3. Av: switches to Av when e-dial is turned. why not use Av mode?

4. Off: Disables e-dial operation. This seems to be the same as using "auto" mode.

What am I missing here? I'm sure there must be some advantage to "P" mode. Do you guys have any ideas?

03-16-2010, 12:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How about just P&S? I know I do most of the time.
03-16-2010, 01:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I use the first setting.
Actually i dont know what Pentax does in plain P mode, but some general information says that camera might get the best possible combination, considering all the variables it can obtain.
That means, shake safe shutter speed at aperture optimal for the lens (if it provides P mode data), and in a range that provides reasonable DOF at the distance measured by AF module.

I use it as a suggestion on what values might be ok.

So if you dont want to go trought DOF tables, test your lenses for sweet spot apertures and accidently push the camera to limit that makes it fail the shot (like the 1/4000 speed), you just use P and add small corrections as needed.

Compared to a full auto - auto changes a lot more on its own, and locks many settings. Usually i use it when i need a rapidly take camera from storage and get a fast shot. So that some odd white balance setting, 2s timer or similar stuff from previous shooting dosnt interfere. Other than that it's too limiting.
03-16-2010, 03:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In P mode you can shift between Av or Tv

03-16-2010, 03:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
In P mode you can shift between Av or Tv
Right, it's actually very convenient when you need to switch modes on the fly without having to turn the dial. Takes all of a turn of the dial to switch modes, and a press of the green button to return. Also, these "Hyper" Av and Tv modes typically won't let you get very far out of the exposure range of the scene, which can be helpful at times (and a hindrance other times)
03-16-2010, 05:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Program mode is just like Green mode except you have control over the settings. I often use P-mode, but I check what settings the camera is recommending and alter as needed.
03-17-2010, 01:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ragingtornado Quote
Just wondering if someone can explain the advantage of using "P" mode on the K200d (or any camera with only 1 dial).
The advantage over what? The advantage of P over Av, Tv, or M modes is that you don't have to have set anything - just point and shoot, and the camera selects both aperture and shutter speed for you. The number of dials is irrelevant. But it's true that if you like to select one of those parameters yourself on a regular basis, then P mode provides no advantage over Av or Tv. But if setting aperture yourself is something you like to do only occasionally, then leaving in P mode to have the camera choose aperture most of the time but you choose it yourself using the dial when desired beats having to change modes.

QuoteQuote:
This seems to be the same as using "auto" mode.
No, because Auto doesn't allow nearly as many overrides as P. For example, no ability to select WB in Auto mode.

I'd say for most people who are not already used to working some other way, P would be their default mode. It makes the camera a P&S when you need it to be, allows for overrides when you want them, and a simple turn of the dial lets you select a different aperture/shutter speed combo.

03-17-2010, 03:34 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
That means, shake safe shutter speed at aperture optimal for the lens (if it provides P mode data), and in a range that provides reasonable DOF at the distance measured by AF module.

I use it as a suggestion on what values might be ok.

So if you dont want to go trought DOF tables, test your lenses for sweet spot apertures and accidently push the camera to limit that makes it fail the shot (like the 1/4000 speed), you just use P and add small corrections as needed.

Ahhh... Well said.

Ok that clears things up. Thanks everyone for the quick replies.