Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2010, 01:31 PM   #1

Pentax Kx - SDHC Card

Hi Guys,

I just ordered a Pentax K-x. I need to know whats the Best SD card to use. Some say you need to use the SD card with high writing speed.

Would "8gb sdhc class 6" cards do good? or is thr any other better option you guys would suggest. My Budget is less than $30.

Thanks
Srini

03-16-2010, 03:11 PM   #2
Forum Member

I purchased two of these

SDSDB4096A11 SanDisk 4 GB Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) Memory Card

when I ordered my K-x. So far each one holds over 200+ Raw files (I've gotten 250ish a few times) and writes quickly enough for the "avid amateur" that I am.

For the price, I highly recommend them.

BTW, 2x 4gb cards is better than 1x 8gb card, or the like. Why? Because when a card fails, and it will, you'll have a backup and not lose ALL your memory capabilities. Just take how much memory you want ( I chose a total of 8gb) and cut it in half to get two cards. Redundancy is never a bad thing!
03-16-2010, 03:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You should be fine with a Class 6 card. I've been using a Patriot 8GB Class 6 since December without any problems. I don't know where you are located, but it cost between $15-17 at my local Fry's Electronics store. At that price I purchased two of them.
03-18-2010, 01:44 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Another vote for SanDisk products, I use the Extreme III's, my images are how I earn a living and these cards have never let me down

Make sure you always buy from reputable sources as there are many fake products out there, that don't do what it says on the tin

03-18-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I would be wary of a 8gb class 6 card that was less than $30, but then I do try to keep to "recognised" brands (there must be a reason the SanDisks cost so much more, right? I hope so at least )

I also use the Extreme IIIs (2x4gb as Jason says), haven't had a problem with them yet.
03-18-2010, 09:48 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use two SanDisk 4 Gb Extreme III's and bought two Lexar Platinum II 8 Gb cards when they were on sale. The Lexar cards are definitely slower to read and write, but still keep up with me. I don't use continuous drive. Never have, might some day. I shoot RAW only with my K10D, so my 24 Gb of storage without off loading and formatting is good for over 1,400 images before I have to offload or buy more cards. This allows me to change cards out frequently so I don't lose a big chunk of pictures if one ever goes bad.