Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2010, 03:46 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K20D and Manual Focus Lenses

Hello everyone.

Firstly, I hope I've picked the correct forum to post this - apologies if I haven't. Apologies also if this has been asked/discussed in the past, as I'm sure it has (after a quick search, I couldn't find any posts).

Just on a year ago, I went digital and purchased a K20D with the 18-55mm DA kit lens and a 50-200mm as an extra. I've found the change from 35mm Minolta film cameras to Pentax DSLR to be a bit of a challenge (the choices seem endless), but I'm enjoying the journey.

Recently, I've been thinking about other lenses (50mm prime, for example) and my question is, are the "old" Pentax manual focus lenses compatible with the K20D? Is it simply a matter sourcing K mount lenses? Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Peter.

03-16-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes, they all are to a certain extent. I use old M42 screw mount lenses on my K-7. But if you use any of the automatic modes (Av, Tv, P, etc), you'll need to meter differently.

There was once a tutorial on this at the top of this sub-forum (it was a sticky), but I can't find it anymore. And I also can't figure out where the Articles sub-forum disappeared to. In any case, you'll have to go into the Custom Functions menu of your camera and find the "Using Aperture Ring" setting. Set that to "Permitted". Then you can use any old K-mount or M42 mount lenses you want.

edit: ah, here it is, it's in the Beginner's Section:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/59272-shooting-...x-dslrs-f.html
03-16-2010, 04:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The first item (sticky) on the beginner's forum is: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/59272-shooting-...x-dslrs-f.html

And I'm sure some honcho will move this thread there, stat.
03-17-2010, 02:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree; I'm moving this to the beginner's forum.

03-18-2010, 01:26 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
If you get Pentax A series lenses, all you have to do is manually focus, all the other functions work fine, I use 'em all day every day.