Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2010, 03:48 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The thing that I would recommend is that whatever software you get, look into a book to get with it to maximize what you do with it. For photoshop and photoshop elements, Scott Kelby's books are really pretty good. I have to agree with Goreman, Photoshop is anything but intuitive. It is very powerful, but I, at least, need help to figure out most of the features.

03-18-2010, 04:19 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
I was using Paint Shop Pro back in the days when it was a slight upgrade from MS Paint/Paintbrush
In the mid-80s I contracted/consulted with a MicroPro/WordStar spinoff to translate graphics software to MS-DOS systems. I dealt with Victor 9000, MindSet, other GFX workstations. Photos were barely supported. JPEGs hadn't been invented yet. We envied the Mac's PIC format. When PSP came along, and tools to digitize (frame grab) vidcam output, and webcams, it was like sunrise scattering the fog.
03-18-2010, 04:22 AM   #18
Moderator PEG Judges

I'd start off with one of the older versions of Photoshop and then once you get the hang of it, work our up to newer versions
03-28-2010, 01:22 AM   #19

I'd recommend trying SageLight

There is a little known photo editor named SageLight. It has a free trial period so you have nothing to lose. This program is very intutive to use and has several features that I haven't seen in any other. It's located here:
Sagelight 48-bit Image Editor 3.0

03-28-2010, 04:27 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With my Pentax cameras I shoot raw only and only need UFRAW (at this moment) for conversion and adjustments.
I use the GIMP for jpegs from my girlfriend's Olympus.
03-30-2010, 01:43 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TimeBandit Quote
There is a little known photo editor named SageLight. It has a free trial period so you have nothing to lose. This program is very intuitive to use and has several features that I haven't seen in any other. It's located here:
Sagelight 48-bit Image Editor 3.0
I agree Sagelight is easy to get started on , it is very full of features, the help method is completely different from other software free 30 day fully functional trial
you could also try as it is a free fully function trial, two programs from lightcrafts
Aura is basic and cheaper than Lightzone both are very very easy to use and like sagelight intuitive to use
lightcrafts
Adobe programs are great but they are the least intuitive to use of any the software talked about so far , GoremanX comments above are all correct and is a accurate statement IMHO
I have tried them all extensivly and bought one or two because of a specific feature and they all have their "nice features", but what it comes down to is what you want to achieve and who is going to look at your images and by what means?
Are your images for a web site? for you only on a screen? printing? for sale?
Basic editing to alter colours and light balance only, any software can do , including the free Pentax software , however it's the cleaning up, and altering of specific colours, adding features, blending images, removing objects and spots etc, in fact what is photo manipulation, that needs careful thought and selection, with some its easy and some a real hard task, yet in the end they all will do the same thing.
If you bother to down load several free trail programs and try to alter a specfic colour or shift the shade in a specific colour, this is normally one of the hardest things to try to do and should show you what the software is like, another good testis removing objects on sme it's easy on some harder
just my pennys worth
Alistair

Last edited by adwb; 03-30-2010 at 03:00 AM.
03-30-2010, 06:36 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used Microsoft photo editor when I first got started, then it was simply looking at shots and cropping, but I found it was very limited.

When I started scanning photos, I bought PSP V8 (Jasc software at the time)

Corel has taken the program over and it is currently at Version X3. It has a good photo browser, and can do most things that photoshop can do, including accepting photoshop plug-in applications.

Version X3 has much improved RAW processing over past versions

the only drawback is corel is a little slow when it comes to adding new cameras to the compatibility list, so DNG may be the way to go. Adobe does make a DNG converter that will take any PEF file amd make a readable DNG out of it, Providing they continue to support this for future releases, you will always have a patch, however at the p[resent time, except for the 645D PSP X3 has all the pentax cameras covered.
03-30-2010, 10:18 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Corel has taken the program over and it is currently at Version X3. It has a good photo browser, and can do most things that photoshop can do, including accepting photoshop plug-in applications.

Version X3 has much improved RAW processing over past versions

the only drawback is corel is a little slow when it comes to adding new cameras to the compatibility list, so DNG may be the way to go. Adobe does make a DNG converter that will take any PEF file amd make a readable DNG out of it, Providing they continue to support this for future releases, you will always have a patch, however at the p[resent time, except for the 645D PSP X3 has all the pentax cameras covered.
I've been using PSP for years now, and I recently upgraded to X3. In the past, I've used a couple Photoshop plug-ins, and I recently purchased Imagenomic's Noiseware. As I also use Photoshop Elements 8, I originally planned to use the plugin with PSE. But I've also tried running it from PSP and have been unable to. The plugin installs and appears in the plugins submenu, but the Noiseware plugin is greyed out, so I can't use it. Noiseware has the .8BF file extension, so it seems it should work. It sure would be nice to be able to use Noiseware from both apps. Is there something I'm forgetting, or is this plugin likely to be simply incompatible?

I agree that PSE's PEF to DNG feature is very nice, but as I'd already switched to DNG before getting PSE, I haven't used it all that much.

Thx!