Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2010, 08:14 PM   #1

Which one to choose... need help

Hello all, newbie needs help here. For sure I don’t have any camera at the moment. My K200d will be at my hand within 2 weeks. it will be my first DSLR but I’ve already search for the lens (low budget). I need some advice or opinion regarding the question:

1. I'm looking for the difference of Takumar f zoom 35-70mm f/3.5-4.5 with SMC Pentax-F 35-70mm F3.5-4.5 in the forum, but I couldn’t find one.
A friend of mine offer me his Takumar f zoom, looking at the physical appearance both lenses are the same, but image quality?
2. SMC Pentax-FA J 75-300mm F4.5-5.8 AL vs SMC Pentax-FA 100-300mm F4.7-5.8. Decide to choose one of those lenses, but which one is better above 250mm?

thanks for the feedback

03-16-2010, 10:00 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 35-70 zooms likely use the same optical formula, common for Pentax at the time. The coatings are supposed to be better on the SMC Pentax-F version, but Pentax did not always follow this rule during this period. It makes no sense to dilute the one quality which made you an industry leader, however they didn't ask me. The SMC version will have higher resale value, better contrast and less flare.

The 75-300mm and 100-300mm zooms are both inexpensive consumer zooms, not really designed to excel at anything. They should have similar used prices, though you might still find the FA-J new. There may be a difference above 250mm but it won't be big enough to worry about, IMO.
03-16-2010, 10:42 PM   #3

Original Poster
if differences only on coating.. will it be significantly effect the quality? means that pict taken with both lens will be significantly difference? btw I assume takumar will fit in k200d without adapter?
03-16-2010, 11:09 PM   #4
Inactive Account

The Takumar-A was one of my first Pentax manual zooms. For what I paid for it, it was a decent lens but don't expect a lot out of it. Some say that the Tak versions are the doorstops compared to the Pentax named versions. May be true, may be not. I sold it and haven't really considered another one since. If you are willing to go manual focus on a zoom a far better lens IMO is the Pentax A 35-105 f3.5. Only speaking from personal experience here.

03-17-2010, 12:45 AM   #5

Original Poster
to go on manual i already have pentax smc-m 50mm f1.4 given from a friend. i guess really need to learn a lot with manual things.....
since i consider to have an entry level auto focus lens, probably these takumar f zoom will fit to my needs for a walk-around portrait lens. I've read good thing for the pentax version. just curious will it be the same for takumar? if there's no significant diff i will be very happy to have it.

Many thanks
03-17-2010, 12:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by okita Quote
if differences only on coating.. will it be significantly effect the quality? means that pict taken with both lens will be significantly difference? btw I assume takumar will fit in k200d without adapter?
there isn't any significant difference. just go with the cheaper one, if price is a concern...
03-17-2010, 04:53 AM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

Those are all Pentax K/bayonet mounts, so no adapter needed. However, in the future, you may see a bargain on the really OLD Taks, which are M42/screw mount, and for those, there's an adapter available.
03-17-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
1. I'm looking for the difference of Takumar f zoom 35-70mm f/3.5-4.5 with SMC Pentax-F 35-70mm F3.5-4.5 in the forum, but I couldn’t find one.
A friend of mine offer me his Takumar f zoom, looking at the physical appearance both lenses are the same, but image quality?
I think more to the point is whether either them will be useful enough to bother. That might have been a common and useful zoom range on film, but on APS-C, due to the crop factor, all a lens like that does is take up space that would be better served by a lens that actually does wide angle - something at least 24 on the wide end to provide the same FOV as a 35 would on film. If you're getting the lens for free, then sure, why not, but otherwise, I'd take the money you would have spent on this lens and spend it instead on the 18-55 "kit" lens or one of the various possible upgrades (16-45, 17-70, etc).

03-17-2010, 09:28 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks you all for the feedback… I hope all these lens (which I never have a problem to decide when I'm still using my fuji prosumer) will not confuse me… just do the survey in the Internet as a newbie does..
So for first timer with 18-55 kit lens and SMC Pentax-FA 100-300mm F4.7-5.8 soon also with takumar f zoom 35-70 will be enough (temporary) i guess..
03-18-2010, 12:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member

So for first timer with 18-55 kit lens and SMC Pentax-FA 100-300mm F4.7-5.8 soon also with takumar f zoom 35-70 will be enough (temporary) i guess..
I cannot say anything about the 35-70, but I have and often use both the 18-55 kit and the FA 100-300, which actually produces very good images, even all the way out at 300mm. It is quite better than the FA-J 70-300. (We often joke that the 'J' in FA-J stands for JUNK.) In the user reviews here, almost the only complaints are that the 100-300 doesn't look professional. Along with your manual 50mm, you seem to have the start of a decent inexpensive set of lenses. You will learn much, using these.

If, like many of us, you get "the fever" to own more lenses, you could start with inexpensive manual lenses like a 135mm and 35mm and 24mm and even 28mm, all f/2.8. Along with your 50/1.4, these are equal to the basic lenses used by many past photographers. Your other zooms may seem to cover those focal lengths, but I think you'll find that these manual primes have special qualities that can produce brilliant images. And, you will learn a great deal by using them. Have fun!