Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2010, 06:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Fungus questions

Sorry if this has already been covered or in the wrong section, but i didn't pull up an answer in my search. My question relates to fungus.

I read somewhere that fungus can spread to other lenses. Can this occur from using a lens that has fungus on your camera, or is it a proximity thing, ie. stored for periods with other lenses.

The reason i ask this is my dad used to have a slr back in the 70's- 80's (somewhere around then). and his camera broke years ago, but he still had his lenses which i now have. There are two i want to try out, a 'hanimex' 72-162mm F3.5 macro being the most notable one, but i don't want to jeopardise the integrity of my lenses. The folks have spent the last 20 years in Darwin (tropics), so the lenses have fungus on/in them as well as some apparent dust.

Basically if i use this on my k-7 will the fungus be able to be transferred, and how successful is stripping and cleaning? If i can use it safely and i like it i will either strip it myself and clean it or send it to a shop and get it done.

03-17-2010, 09:56 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fungus spores are everywhere and on everything. They need the right conditions to multiply, ie. moisture and darkness. Keep your present lenses dry and you shouldn't have a problem.
03-17-2010, 10:20 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I once purchased a lens on Ebay that turned out to have fungus (the seller had no clue about photography). So, I got my money back and ended up with the lens for free. I sent it to Essex Camera Service in NJ, and they sent it back fungus free; nor has it ever had a problem with fungus since. It is a nice Pentax-M 35mm f2, so I kept the lens. It has been with my other photographic equipment for years now with no problems. At first I took some extra precautions: I put the lens out in the sun for the sun to help kill any remaining fungus; I isolated the lens from my other equipment. But it became quite clear that the fungus was gone; no doubt there are still some spores in there, but as the previous poster pointed out, the conditions are no longer favorable for fungus to grow.
03-17-2010, 11:41 PM   #4
wjt
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
thanks for the replies guys , turns out even though the hanimex is a pk mount it doesn't fit my k-7, but it does fit on my old mz-60. The 50mm and the 28mm fit though

03-18-2010, 08:38 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Hanimex probably has an extended light shield around the aperture lever. Compare it to lenses that mount on your K-7. The black light shield ridge goes much further around the mount on some third-party older lenses. It runs into the contacts for SDM motors or power-zoom lenses. The shield usually can be removed entirely for a quick fix, or removed, filed down to look like a Pentax lens and reinstalled for a permanent fix.