Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2010, 07:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A stupid question

Allow me to demonstrate just how much of a noob I am. I've been shooting for quite a while, starting with an old Kodak x45 in the early 70's. Did it more in college with a Minolta, and then recently I started to get into it a bit more with an ist DS (that's still a nice camera, although not as "modern"). Recently, my wife got me a new k-7 for my birthday. Throughout these decades I never really "learned" photography. I know the basic concepts, but basically have always just taken a lot of shots with a lot of different settings and chose the one I like best. It's worked out so far.

BUT... with this k-7 I figure I should probably learn what I'm actually doing. This question is one step of the future million. I see I can download firmware with some updates for the k-7. Do I want to do this, and (more embarassingly) how does it get into the camera? When I put in the cable to download pictures can it upload that data? Any info is appreciated. Thanks a lot

03-17-2010, 07:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kyricom Quote
I see I can download firmware with some updates for the k-7. Do I want to do this, and (more embarassingly) how does it get into the camera? When I put in the cable to download pictures can it upload that data? Any info is appreciated. Thanks a lot
The download page on the Pentax site gives complete instructions. Roughly (IIRC): Save the update to your memory card (I use an extra one). That means you need a card-reader for your computer. Insert card in camera; hold down Menu button (I think) whilst powering-on the camera. Update loads automagically. (I could be off slightly -- check the site.)

I'm not sure about the K7 (help me out, people!) but with my K20D, the USB cable just tethers the camera to be controlled by the Remote Assistant software. That tethering doesn't move firmware data around.
03-17-2010, 07:38 AM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't touch ANYTHING until you get the answers you need here. Do it wrong and it'll corrupt the camera, and will cost a FORTUNE to fix--only Pentax can do it.

I have a KX, so I don't want to give you K7 answers, but here are the rules:

1) You download the correct firmware version from Pentax.

2) You drag the file onto a clean, formatted card at the root level of the card. NOT inside any folder!!!

3) You make sure your batteries are 110% fully charged!!! Your batteries take a crap during the update and you're screwed.

4) Put the card in the camera, hold down the menu button when you turn it on, and wait for the update prompt.

5) Don't stop the process! Just wait! Stop the process, and you're screwed.

6) Say 3 hail marys.
03-17-2010, 09:56 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Don't touch ANYTHING until you get the answers you need here. Do it wrong and it'll corrupt the camera, and will cost a FORTUNE to fix--only Pentax can do it.

I have a KX, so I don't want to give you K7 answers, but here are the rules:

1) You download the correct firmware version from Pentax.

2) You drag the file onto a clean, formatted card at the root level of the card. NOT inside any folder!!!

3) You make sure your batteries are 110% fully charged!!! Your batteries take a crap during the update and you're screwed.

4) Put the card in the camera, hold down the menu button when you turn it on, and wait for the update prompt.

5) Don't stop the process! Just wait! Stop the process, and you're screwed.

6) Say 3 hail marys.
All good except I don't think Mary is going to help if the update goes sour.

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
The download page on the Pentax site gives complete instructions. Roughly (IIRC): Save the update to your memory card (I use an extra one). That means you need a card-reader for your computer. Insert card in camera; hold down Menu button (I think) whilst powering-on the camera. Update loads automagically. (I could be off slightly -- check the site.)

I'm not sure about the K7 (help me out, people!) but with my K20D, the USB cable just tethers the camera to be controlled by the Remote Assistant software. That tethering doesn't move firmware data around.
K7, like any other digicam can be thethered to the computer and will act as a card reader/writer/remote drive. The K7 does not have Remote Assistant.

Again,
1. Make sure your battery is charged (only one on the K7 ).
2. Copy the firmware (.bin file) to the ROOT directory of your card. If you can see the DCIM directory, you are In the root. Some also just format the card which erases everything. Either one works.
3. Press the Menu button while turning the camera on.
4. Follow the prompts. When the display reads Complete and the Red light near the card door is flashing, you're done. The entire update should take no more than about 2-3 minutes.

03-17-2010, 10:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
K7, like any other digicam can be thethered to the computer and will act as a card reader/writer/remote drive.
Duh, yeah, right, I forgot that; I should have tethered and checked before spewing. I blame insufficient coffee. Again.
I'm just habituated to using the card reader to avoid eating battery time whilst moving up to 16gb from cam to comp.
03-17-2010, 12:41 PM   #6

OK, it is not a stupid question. It is easy but delicate process, one misstep and your camera becomes a paper weight. So it is a valid question, you're just making sure you do it right the first time (well, there is no second time )
03-17-2010, 05:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thank you all for your information. It sounds kind of scary if I can ruin my new spiffy camera. So, I guess the question becomes... do I need to do it at all? things seem to be working fine now. Is there anything on that which I REALLY need? Thanks
03-17-2010, 06:09 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I can't answer your question regarding your K-7, but I did the firmware update on my K100D without any problems. I also have a K20D, but haven't done the update -- yet. I have been really lazy. The update to the K100D was super easy, and the steps everyone has mentioned before were the same for the K100D. Please pay attention to the fact that your batteries need to be fully charged to do the update. As a matter of fact, I think I used the power cord on the K100D. I found out about the upgrade after I bought a new 4GB card while on vacation, and could not get it to work. Was ready to send it back, and just happened to see a thread here in the forum about upgrading, and found out that the upgrade would allow me to use the 4GB card. Without the upgrade, I was limited to a 2GB card. So yes, there may be some real advantages also for the K-7. Good luck with it, and just take your time.