Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2010, 04:36 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Proper lens hood for K-x kit lens (18-55)?

I'm trying to find a lens hood for the K-x kit lens, and am having problems. I started by grabbing a generic 52mm lens hood from Amazon. It works, but uses the lens' threads to screw on.

I'm not sure of the proper terminology, but what I wanted was something that uses the quick-lock/quick/release grooves on the outside of the lens.

So, I then grabbed a Pentax branded, 52mm lens hood (PH-RBC52). This one is designed for quick on/off grooves, but not the quick on/off grooves of the kit lens (grrrrrrr!!!!).

Does anyone know what I'm supposed to buy? I want to be able put it on and off quickly. I don't want to have to take off the lens cap, pull the hood out of my bag, thread the hood on, take a few pictures, unthread the hood, put the cap on, put the hood back in my bag, repeat.

03-18-2010, 05:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You want the PH-RBA 52mm. Usually around $20 on B&H.
03-18-2010, 09:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Prices have gone up on the Pentax version -- $40 at B&H now, and out of stock. Adorama has it for $31.95 w/ free shipping, but it's out of stock too.

I got a generic one from Fotodiox on Ebay for ~$16 shipped. It's just like the Pentax hood, even has the break out tab for rotating a CPL filter, but it doesn't say Pentax. Fits and works perfectly. Check it out:

Bayonet hood for DAL18-55
03-18-2010, 06:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for posting that link. I've used them in the past, but was quite disappointed lately to find that their website had nowhere near the amount of product that they used to. Now I see it's because it's all on Ebay.

03-18-2010, 07:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Thanks for posting that link. I've used them in the past, but was quite disappointed lately to find that their website had nowhere near the amount of product that they used to. Now I see it's because it's all on Ebay.
Y'welcome! After I saw them on Ebay, I checked out their web site and was disappointed to find they only had a few items. Re Pentax accessories, so many are on backorder with no ETA. So I was doubly glad I found the generic hood. It would be nice if they made one for the DAL50-200. I managed to pick up a genuine Pentax one from a forum member, fortunately.

Last edited by twokatmew; 03-18-2010 at 07:29 PM. Reason: grammar
03-18-2010, 08:25 PM   #6

Adorama has the PH-RBA 52mm back in stock...just had mine shipped out today...$21.95