Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2011, 03:49 AM   #46
Waiter

Found my way to this forum because of this question.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The funny thing is that the first thing I do when I get a new camera is not shake it to see if it rattles.
Well, when you have just bought a new camera for a substantial ammount of money and it sounds like something was unscrewed and sliding 3-4mm back and forth when you tilt the camera from side to side, I would say that the first normal reaction would be to phone support or return the camera. I also know this is mentioned in the manual, but it's not really "in your face" and at least the german translation isn't very clear about what kind of sound it is and when it appears. I also doubt that many users will read the whole manual before they try the camera out in their hands.

I'm surprised there's not a separate note in the box about this as I guess all support groups must have regular calls from worried customers.

10-17-2011, 04:58 AM   #47

Photos: Gallery
Yet to hear clunk!?!

I have just purchased a K-7 from someone on the forum. I'm am yet to hear and feel the the clunk on this machine. It is set to perform the action on start up but all that happens is a slight squeaking noise but no vibration("Clunk"). I have a K20D and there is a clear and distinctive vibration (sensor clean) on start up (manually set) and when performed manually but not with the recently purchased K-7. I'm assured by the seller that this is normal, however after reading this post I'm unsure. Can anyone shed some light on the matter???

Edit: I went into Paxtons and tested a brand new one. My one seems to do exactly the same thing as the store camera. I was expecting a louder noise and more vibration that what it was! So I guess all is ok!

Last edited by Simon23; 10-18-2011 at 04:39 AM.
10-22-2011, 09:48 PM   #48
Veteran Member

The clunk referred to in this thread is not the sensor cleaning that may happen when you turn it on - it's a noise you hear while the camera is off, when you turn it in just the rght way.
11-09-2011, 09:02 AM   #49

another question, about "noise".... when the mirror is up (live-view, movie mode), in the background i hear a sound that is very very creepy.. i thought that the sensor was melting haha ) and, i found this video on youtube
, with the same background "sound/noise"...
so , what produces this sound? any ideas?

01-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #50

Funny I never noticed the "clunk" until five months after I bought my K5. Took it out after a gap of a month and was alarmed to discover that tilting it makes something "shift" inside. Just to make sure - this does happen irrespective of whether it's on or off, right?
01-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Yep, on or off, doesn't matter. The only time it won't do it is when the SR is actively engaged, so when taking a shot, or using LV/video modes (but it hums slightly during those).
02-24-2012, 03:02 PM   #52

Thank you kind people. I really didn't want to have to go to the local store and defend my choice of camera...or worse, have to part with it for any length of time to get it checked out. Sorry for the redundant 'newbie' question. I thought I was pretty familiar with my manual..pages are falling out.

04-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #53

This is why this forum is so great. I just bought a new K-5, and I googled this "problem"... hey presto - first hit is this page.

12-05-2012, 01:29 AM   #54
Inactive Account

Haha such a relief...although my heart rate still hasn't lowered to normal.

Just upgraded from a k20, which did not have this "clunk". Reading through the comments I went back and forth agreeing or disagreeing that what I was seeing was what was being described.

This seems like some mean initiation ritual to new (or upgrading?) pentaxians :P
01-21-2013, 06:31 PM   #55

QuoteOriginally posted by DV8 Quote
Just bought a Pentax K7.

This might be a stupid question as i am new to the modern functions of present DLSRs, but i would be very happy if someone would leave a comment just the same

When i turn it in my hand something inside goes slight "clunk", like some object
is shifting inside. I have an idea this may be the Shake reduction system, or something connected to it.

If another K7 owner could attest to the same i would be relieved.

Best regards.

DV8
I think I know what that is. I had my lens cleaner on and it would make a clunk noise also. Try turning your cleaner off and see if that works.
02-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #56

I just bought and received a "Lightly Used" K-r. Is this "clunk" occurring when you tip the camera body side to side? I don't think mine is really a clunk, but more something bulky sliding.
After reading this thread, it seems like the sound im hearing is normal, but the seller I bought the camera off of forgot to include the battery and now lost the battery, so I am a little nervous.

The clunk occurs when tipping side to side slightly like when going from landscape to portrait and back again?

Last edited by CircaM; 02-22-2013 at 12:22 PM.
02-22-2013, 04:13 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CircaM Quote
I just bought and received a "Lightly Used" K-r. Is this "clunk" occurring when you tip the camera body side to side? I don't think mine is really a clunk, but more something bulky sliding.
After reading this thread, it seems like the sound im hearing is normal, but the seller I bought the camera off of forgot to include the battery and now lost the battery, so I am a little nervous.

The clunk occurs when tipping side to side slightly like when going from landscape to portrait and back again?
Yep, sounds about right. It you're interested to see how much it moves just put the camera in liveview without the lens, select a random focal length at start up and look at the sensor moving with the shake-reduction. You won't hear the clunk this way but you can see and understand why the clunk is.
03-20-2013, 09:36 PM   #58

Hello, i also hear a noise on my k20d and it can be *just* sr related as i turn the SR off during live view, i can still hear some weird noise (only in live view) i honestly dont understand.. is that some interference?

it's not anoying, it's just an haunting sound and if it's k20d related i will miss it when i get the chance to upgrade.
03-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #59
Veteran Member

At least the K-5 sounds like there is somebody having a wild party inside it during liveview so I guess the K20D is the same.
03-22-2013, 05:32 AM   #60

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
At least the K-5 sounds like there is somebody having a wild party inside it during liveview so I guess the K20D is the same.
yeah but why? i think that's ok if th sr is on, i mean i's the gyroscope/wtv working... but if its off.. why can you hear it then? (lower noise but still there)