Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2010, 04:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Scanning photos?

I have black and white photos, and trying to scan them... have a scanner that is built into my printer (a flatbed) that can go up to 4800 dpi I believe... any tips on scanning? and do I really need 4800 dpi?

03-18-2010, 06:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NecroticSoldier Quote
and do I really need 4800 dpi?
Try it and see.

No, really. Scan a typical photo at different resolutions and see what you like.

Tips: The glass and print must be ABSOLUTELY CLEAN with each scan, or you'll have nice pictures of dust, fingerprints, other spots, etc. You'll notice different details showing up if the paper is glossy or matte. If the paper is textured, uh oh... I often scan and rescan several times to make sure I've got the best detail.

Some scanners and their software support various controls: dark/light, contrast, even histogram curves; and color (de)saturation, etc. Some account for halftone screening, so you can scan old postcards and other printed images as well as photo prints. Read the manual, see how much control you can take.

Don't be in a hurry. I always screw up when I'm in a hurry.
03-18-2010, 06:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Try it and see.

No, really. Scan a typical photo at different resolutions and see what you like.

Tips: The glass and print must be ABSOLUTELY CLEAN with each scan, or you'll have nice pictures of dust, fingerprints, other spots, etc. You'll notice different details showing up if the paper is glossy or matte. If the paper is textured, uh oh... I often scan and rescan several times to make sure I've got the best detail.

Some scanners and their software support various controls: dark/light, contrast, even histogram curves; and color (de)saturation, etc. Some account for halftone screening, so you can scan old postcards and other printed images as well as photo prints. Read the manual, see how much control you can take.

Don't be in a hurry. I always screw up when I'm in a hurry.
Fail... just tried 4800 it says it's either.. going to be like 300mb or like 2.7 gb...

I did something like... 600-800 dpi and dust and stuff showed up... ;( tried to clean the glass as well as possible. My print is glossy. ;(.

(sigh) takes really really long to render a 4800. The end result is dust too...
03-18-2010, 06:33 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since prints themselves are only 200dpi, you'll not get any more detail scanning at a higher resolution.

Which all in one printer do you have?

03-18-2010, 06:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Since prints themselves are only 200dpi, you'll not get any more detail scanning at a higher resolution.

Which all in one printer do you have?
Hp Photosmart C4599
03-18-2010, 06:55 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I looked up your user guide but couldn't find anything in there about what type of scanning software is included. Like Rico said, check your documentation and see if there is any user controls. Check to see if you have a setting like Professional photo instead of auto control.
My scanner is an Espon stand alone and came with Digital Ice which helps with dust.
03-18-2010, 07:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I looked up your user guide but couldn't find anything in there about what type of scanning software is included. Like Rico said, check your documentation and see if there is any user controls. Check to see if you have a setting like Professional photo instead of auto control.
My scanner is an Espon stand alone and came with Digital Ice which helps with dust.
Nope, not really ANY software came with it.... ;/
03-18-2010, 10:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I would scan at the maximum native resolution (1200 according to HP Photosmart C4599 All-in-One Printer (Q8408A) specifications - HP Home & Home Office products)

4800 is interpolated where the scanner driver/software tries to calculate the none existing pixels. In my opinion a total waste of time because one can never restore what was not there in the first place.

03-19-2010, 07:46 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
I would scan at the maximum native resolution (1200 according to HP Photosmart C4599 All-in-One Printer (Q8408A) specifications - HP Home & Home Office products)

4800 is interpolated where the scanner driver/software tries to calculate the none existing pixels. In my opinion a total waste of time because one can never restore what was not there in the first place.
Thank you that really helps... I never knew... I guess I learned something today ;P