Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2010, 04:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Is removing purple fringing hard?

Purple fringing doesn't show up everywhere, but when it does... is it hard to remove during PP?

03-18-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It depends entirely on the software you use. It's incredibly easy to remove with Apple's Aperture 3, but most of the time I'm stopped down to avoid it.
03-18-2010, 04:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noahpurdy Quote
It depends entirely on the software you use. It's incredibly easy to remove with Apple's Aperture 3, but most of the time I'm stopped down to avoid it.
Oh, also a follow up question that I just thought of. Would doing so, be not as good as an image originally without purple fringing?
03-18-2010, 05:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NecroticSoldier Quote
Oh, also a follow up question that I just thought of. Would doing so, be not as good as an image originally without purple fringing?
You always want to get it right in the camera first, any changes made in post will reduce the quality of the image overall.

03-18-2010, 09:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You always want to get it right in the camera first, any changes made in post will reduce the quality of the image overall.
I guess so ;(
03-19-2010, 09:00 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Purple fringe is a lens issue that happens most often with older lenses designed for film cameras but does happen with newer lenses to a lesser degree. Stopping down helps but with some lenses it's impossible to avoid in some lighting conditions.
03-19-2010, 09:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Purple fringing doesn't show up everywhere, but when it does... is it hard to remove during PP?
With the K-x, of course, purple fringing/chromatic aberration can be removed automatically in-camera, if you are using a supported Pentax lens and saving as JPG. Can't get much easier than that.

Aside from that, most image editors, including Pentax DCU, will let you remove it or minimise it pretty easily.

03-19-2010, 09:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
With the K-x, of course, purple fringing/chromatic aberration can be removed automatically in-camera, if you are using a supported Pentax lens and saving as JPG. Can't get much easier than that.

Aside from that, most image editors, including Pentax DCU, will let you remove it or minimise it pretty easily.
Oh, I have seen this function on the K-X but never really bothered with it or read into it. Thanks, but I might be using a Tamron 70-300mm that has SOME PF... ;/
03-19-2010, 09:58 AM   #9

Google: "Purple Fringe Killer"

A PS CS Plugin thats said to do a good job, there is also a review here:

HDR and the Purple Fringe
03-19-2010, 12:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Oh, I have seen this function on the K-X but never really bothered with it or read into it. Thanks, but I might be using a Tamron 70-300mm that has SOME PF... ;/
I recently picked up a Tamron 70-300. It's not as good as it could be re PF, but it ain't too bad at all.

What graphics software do you normally use?
03-19-2010, 02:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I recently picked up a Tamron 70-300. It's not as good as it could be re PF, but it ain't too bad at all.

What graphics software do you normally use?
I haven't gotten to be using ANY yet... so Pentax Utility...
03-19-2010, 09:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The DCU 4 software that came with the K-x is great as a RAW converter and can also do fine at correcting CA/PF.

Open DCU 4 > Open image (RAW or JPEG) > Laboratory > Lens Aberration Correction tab > Lateral Chromatic Aberration Correction, then play around with the red or blue sliders until the purple fringing is reduced or goes away.
04-14-2010, 11:56 AM   #13

I know that in Paint Shop Pro, which is what I use, there's the Purple Fringe Fix to remove purple fringing. Depends on the colors in your photo it might or might not work perfectly.
04-14-2010, 12:25 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

How do you figure that?
04-14-2010, 12:29 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I believe it depends highly on the kind of PF. Longitudinal is very hard to remove, lateral is easy:

Chromatic aberrations