Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2010, 04:46 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
We have the Beginners Q&A forum so that beginners can post and not fear comments like this , we were all beginners once.

As for offering advice about metering and not needing ISO 3200 because it's late in the evening, that means very little in a situation like this. Flash was used and ISO 100 is what should be recommended.
Sorry, I didn't think I was offensive, as far as I concern I'm an ignoramus. just raised a few points I think are relevant.

03-20-2010, 06:09 PM   #17
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
Sorry, I didn't think I was offensive, as far as I concern I'm an ignoramus. just raised a few points I think are relevant.
No worries, you weren't really being offensive. This forum just expects a little more sensitivity. Telling a beginner it's the operators fault doesn't answer their question and can be demoralising. If the question had been raised in the DSLR forum, your answer would have been more appropriate, even though not necessarily appreciated still.
03-20-2010, 07:24 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Which flash are you using? I have found many, many flashes that dedicated to the prior Pentax DSLRs that are no longer working so well with the K-x and K7. Some flashes which are said to be upgradeable are infact not. One of the ideal solutions is to use one of the three common Pentax branded flashes, AF-200, AF 360FGZ or AF 540 FGZ, as these all work the best on the K-x. They will maintain excellent exposures automatically in a great variety of lighting conditions. If you can provide some information about the flash you are using, I or one of the much smarter folks here will help you get more consistent flash exposures.

Hang in there. Flash photography isn't the easiest thing in the world, but when you get control of the light you can do amazing things with your photos.
03-21-2010, 04:59 PM   #19

Original Poster
Actuall I only have the on board flash! Seems a little bright eh...

03-22-2010, 05:36 PM   #20

Much brighter than I am!!
03-22-2010, 05:41 PM   #21

Original Poster
Lol, and I forgot to mention that I have a headlight out. So there is only one headlight on the kid!
03-22-2010, 05:43 PM   #22
Damn Brit

Next you'll tell us you weren't even there when the pictures were taken.
03-22-2010, 06:01 PM   #23

Original Poster
I was there, didnt even have a barlley pop in me yet! We just got back from a quick trip to the States and the boy was adamant about trying out the new skateboard he got!

03-22-2010, 06:06 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You have the K-x which is a high ISO (sensitivity) capable camera by all accounts and I would own one if there were any money in my accounts...but I digress. Why not try some shots with no flash? The lower shutter speed could be helped by panning (following the action) and it don't cost much to try.
04-14-2010, 12:24 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by keyser Quote
As Marc says, using the aperture ring will cause the flash to fire at full power. Because the aperture is set, the only variables are shutter speed and ISO. Of course being flash, the shutter speed is also set. So ISO is all you have to play with.

You can not win in this situation. Your only option is to set ISO100 and a (much) higher F-Stop, and live with the fact that the background will be black. It won't be a great photo but at least your subject will be properly exposed.

Ditto for the ISO suggestion, I'd also try shooting flash-off in your case and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised w/ the results
04-14-2010, 03:24 PM   #26
Veteran Member

If you think that the flash is too harsh and you are fairly close, try moving away a bit to limit the light falling on your subject. You can just zoom in to compensate for the distance.
You could also use a diffuser on your on-board flash if everything else fails.
Just a piece of thin white paper to soften the flash output.
04-14-2010, 06:03 PM   #27
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kurly, you're trying to tackle a really hard situation to begin with.

I know you wanted to do these shots, but sometimes we have to choose our battles when we're ready to fight them. And trying to photograph someone on a skateboard at total night ain't easy at ALL.

And in manual?
04-14-2010, 06:04 PM   #28
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bogiesbad Quote
You have the K-x which is a high ISO (sensitivity) capable camera by all accounts and I would own one if there were any money in my accounts...but I digress. Why not try some shots with no flash? The lower shutter speed could be helped by panning (following the action) and it don't cost much to try.
Definitely!
04-19-2010, 02:42 PM   #29

Original Poster
I've gotten a decent flash since then and will try someday soon to recreate the situation.