Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2010, 08:41 PM   #1

HOW 2 K-X - Change DPI and Resolution of shots.

Exactly how do you change the DPI and the resolution on the Pentax K-X?

03-18-2010, 08:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are three quality of jpgs which you can set through the INFO screen. Lower ISO have higher resolutions as at some point by my understand the camera starts using groups of pixels to make a single pixel, thus giving low light shooting. The sharper the lens the better the DPI I believe.
03-18-2010, 09:42 PM   #3
Damn Brit

DPI cannot be changed in camera and in fact has nothing to do with jpegs or quality. DPI
means dots per inch and is used when printing.

If you mean PPI (pixels per inch), again that is something you are not going to change, 72PPI is a standard number I believe when you are looking at files but it is completely arbitrary. That number can be changed with your PP software when you are resizing images.

I'm sure someone will come along with a more technically proficient answer than I but regardless, those numbers are not something you really need to worry about right now.

To change capture resolution, go into the menu of your camera and look for JPEG Rec. Pixels and JPEG Qualityand you can change it from there but generally you should leave them at the highest settings.

You will find a couple of good reads of your manual will help you.

Welcome to PF.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 03-18-2010 at 09:48 PM.
03-19-2010, 10:44 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
DPI is literally dots per inch. However many pixels are in your image divided by the number of inches in your print. Your camera shoots 3000x4000 pixels (or something sort of close to that). Print it 10" wide and that's 3000/10 = 300dpi. Print bigger and it's fewer dpi, print smaller and it's more dpi. Doesn't matter what the number in the EXIF says - the EXIF doesn't know how big your print is. That number is more relevant for scans, where there actually *is* a "correct" size.

03-19-2010, 11:32 AM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Let me take crack at this, because putting the technical stuff aside, I think there's a better answer:

1) If you pick JPEG high quality, that's your highest resolution.

2) If you pick the maximum image size, that's your highest resolution as well.

Size IS related to resolution when both are at 72 dpi, because if you resize without resampling, the larger image results in a higher resolution.
03-19-2010, 07:45 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by dpinoy Quote
Exactly how do you change the DPI and the resolution on the Pentax K-X?
This is a common question and full of misconceptions because DPI is meaningless until something is printed but the camera has to store something in the file, so most of them simply put 72. Here is an article I wrote about it which includes a calculator to see the relation between resolution, size and DPI:
Image Size and Resolution | NeoCamera.com

- Itai
Neovoyage | Explore, Experience, Expand your horizons | Travel Photography Tours
03-22-2010, 11:09 PM   #7

Original Poster
I want to print something out using my K-X and i dont know how to change the image's DPI.
03-22-2010, 11:25 PM   #8
Pentaxian

You don't. As we've tried to explain, a camera doesn't have a dpi. It has dots (pixels), period. The number of dots per inch depends on how big you print. Take the number of pixels in your camera, divide by the print size - that's the dpi. It's *not* some number written into the EXIF by the camera. You can safely ignore the number 72 that the camera puts there for lakc of anything better to put there. Changing that number has no effect whatsoever on printing, and trying to change it without know what you re doing is likely to screw things up.

03-24-2010, 01:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dpinoy Quote
I want to print something out using my K-X and i dont know how to change the image's DPI.
In Photoshop:
- Open your picture
- Image -> Image Size...
- Take note of the pixel number listed in the "Width" field
- Change DPI to whatever you want (300, 600, whatever)
- Change the "Width" field back to the number you noted earlier
- Click the "ok" button

In Gimp:
- Open your picture
- Image -> Scale Image
- take note of the value in the "Width" field
- Change "X resolution" to whatever DPI you want (it should say 72 dpi initially)
- Change the "Width" field back to what you noted earlier
- Click the "Scale" button

Voila, you end up with the exact same picture, but with DPI changed. Technically you've accomplished nothing, but maybe now your printer will give you the results you were looking for.