Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2010, 08:58 PM   #1

Pentax MX Film Stuck Inside Camera

Hey Guys. Yes, I'm a newbie and I'm afraid I did a terrible newbie thing. I seem to have gotten the film stuck inside the camera. I had gotten done with the last exposure of the film and I pulled the lever and it wouldn't go any further so I started rewinding it. It has gotten to the point where it is really hard to crank it and when I try to pull up to open the back, it don't go nowhere. I have no idea what I'm doing and I don't want to mess it up any further. The slightest bit of help would be so appreciative. Trust me. It's a Pentax MX just so ya know. Thank you in advance.

03-18-2010, 09:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I never owned one, but did download its manual a while ago. There is a little release button (I think it's the one marked '35' in the manual) in the bottom of the camera that you need to press while rewinding.

While rewinding, you will feel a point where friction is higher than before; that is when the film gets pulled out of the 'film pickup spool' (marked '39' in the manual). Just force it a bit (not brute force and ignorance) and after that the rewind should go smoothly as the film is turning in the canister.
Next pull the film rewind know up to open the back.

It's how it always worked on my Minolta and from the pictures in the MX manual it should be the same.

Hope it helps (but re-reading your post, I'm not sure).
03-19-2010, 05:23 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Isn't there a button on the bottom of the camera that you press to release the film advance? EVERY 35mm film slr camera I've ever owned had one somewhere. It sounds like what has happened is you've simply tightened the film in the canister (which is something you want to do if you're going to play with double exposures).

http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/mf/pentax_mx_manual_s.pdf

Password is Pentax (with cap P) page 16

03-19-2010, 06:48 AM   #4

Original Poster
I appreciate the help guys. I was working with it some more last night and the rewinder got stripped and fell off. If I can't figure it out, I 'm going to have to send it in to get repaired. Hopefully, it'll be an easy fix. Newbie lesson 1 learned.

03-19-2010, 09:56 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Kristopher,

That's why I sold that camera. It's too nice to hacksaw the back off to get to the film.

Here are some photos of the parts involved. They may help you do this yourself. First, the rewind crank and the chrome part that drives the film spool. It sounds like you'll need at least one of these; probably both. I think parts from an ME will work but not be exactly the same.

The latch to the door:

I used a red arrow to mark a tab here. The chrome part that drives the film spool has a shoulder that moves this tab up when you pull up the crank disk all the way. That tab is connected to the door latch.

You may be able to push the chrome part further into the film spool and use a bent paper clip to fish in the hole and pull up that tab.

A camera tech can take the top and bottom plates off and get to the hinge pins for the film door. The bottom plate is easy but the top is not. There might be an easier method that I don't know about.
03-19-2010, 07:50 PM   #6

Original Poster
Hey Dave. Thank you so much for the detailed reply. I tried to open the back where the latch was in your photo, but could not get it. I decided that before I mess it up even more, I'm going to send it in to the Pentax Repair Man Eric Hendrickson. He says he does repairs on anything concerning a Pentax MX so better to leave this to a professional. Ya know?

All of this sort of makes me want to purchase a digital camera. The ease of a digital camera sure would hit the spot right now. I just might see if I can get a good Pentax digital for under $300 on here. Wish me luck.

Thank you so much for your reply. I really appreciate it.