Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2010, 10:12 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax Lens Designations

I haven't used a Pentax snce they had Takumar screw mount lenses, and am trying to get caught up on terminology as I move forward with my new K-7. Can someone please give me a comparison of DA, DA L, D FA, and FA J lenses? What do these designations mean? What are the differences between lenses in these categories?

I've found the reviews of individual lenses within each of these categories....I just need to understand what separates th categories.

Thans for any help you can give.

03-19-2010, 10:27 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
See:

Pentax Lens Terminology

Anything with F or D in it allows for autofocus. Anything with F or A in it allows for autoexposure. Anything with D in it was designed for digital (although if it has both D & F, it also works on film).
03-19-2010, 10:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Anything with F or D in it allows for autofocus. Anything with F or A in it allows for autoexposure. Anything with D in it was designed for digital (although if it has both D & F, it also works on film).
You omitted: Anything with J in it is Junk.
03-19-2010, 10:57 AM   #4
djt
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks much fo the most helpful answer!

I also found some additional information at: Pentax Lenses Explained

From this it also appears that L=lightweight lenses that lack a stainless steel bayonet mount and quick shift focusing ability, while J=lenses that lack an aperture ring.

Problem solved...greatly appreciate your responsivenes!!