Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some questions for the Pro's

just starting with the pentax K7 including WR lenses and at this moment I have 2 questions:

1) What would be the best choice (for the camera) to download the pictures to PC and Why
a) By taking out the SDHC card and putting it in the PC
b) By connecting the camera through USB Cable

2) Do you advise to protect the front element of the WR lens by means of an additional filter. Or not and why not.
If Yes what would you prefer and why:
a) Polarizer filter
b) UV filter

Thank you for your answers/advice

03-19-2010, 12:06 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

I use a card reader. It's just how I've always done it and I see no reason to switch.
I don't advise the use of filters at all unless there is a pressing need for one. I don't see a pressing need for "protective" filters. They offer very little in terms of protection, and often ask very much in terms of lens performance.
03-19-2010, 12:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivo_Spohr Quote
just starting with the pentax K7 including WR lenses and at this moment I have 2 questions:

1) What would be the best choice (for the camera) to download the pictures to PC and Why

2) Do you advise to protect the front element of the WR lens by means of an additional filter. Or not and why not.
a) Polarizer filter
b) UV filter

1) I think a card reader is usually faster than a cable. either way the photos way stay the same in your computer.
2) I don't use any filter regularly but a quality UV filter will not affect IQ any will give the lens some protection. a crappy one however WILL affect IQ, and not in a good way.
the only reason to use a polarizer is if you want the polarizer effects.
03-19-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Polarizing filters in short:

HOYA FILTERS - The Difference is Clear

03-19-2010, 12:19 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum Ivo.
Well, you don't need a pro to answer these questions - so I'll offer my 2c worth:
I also use a USB card reader (as I don't have a computer that accepts SD cards) - faster, easier and reliable. I avoid connecting the camera using the cable as the small connection on the camera's side is prone to being damaged - so this one's a last resort for me.

As for filters - a constant source of contention with regards to 'protective' properties.
Indeed, there is no 'need' for one just for protection, but even still, I've decided to 'protect' all of my lenses but none with cheap filters. All have at least Hoya's HMC level of UV filters and I've found them useful in keeping seaspray, excessive dust and skin oil away form my lenses' front elements.

Of course, all of these sources of grime can be wiped away from the front element of a lens not filtered, but I find it more reassuring that I will less likely have depreciation of the front elements' multicoated layers. I do have to wipe my attached filters often.
03-19-2010, 12:21 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Card reader. Does not require batteries and minimized things to trip over when making coffee.

No filters - unless there is a specific image reason.
03-19-2010, 01:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Card reader. At home, I use a multi-card reader (I use cameras with 3 different card formats). On the road, I use the tiny USB-plug-in reader that came with the Transcend 16gb SD card.

Filters: Use only what you want and need, only when you want and need them. Search the threads here for overviews of what filters do, and why, and when.

03-19-2010, 02:45 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivo_Spohr Quote

a) Polarizer filter
b) UV filter

1. I use the USB Cable. Once, I forgot the card in the reader and couldn't use the camera as a result. The camera was still real pretty to look at though. Yeah, I know, spare cards.. Still, for me it's just better to leave the thing in the camera. The fewer pieces I have to carry around the happier I am.

2. I use to be one of those put a UV/Protective filter on everything. That is until I noticed that even on my better lenses, the Hoya Pro1 Digital UV filters I was paying a fortune for, were Inducing Flare. I still have filters and if I know I'm going to be in some extreme situation, like a lot of blowing dirt, I'll put them on and take care of the flare in post processing. Otherwise the front glass goes naked.

2a. Use a Polarizer where your situation warrants it. Circular polarizer please and I see no need to skimp. We spend $1000s of dollars on the camera equipment and then want to skimp on the accessories. Cheap cards, $2 window glass filters, etc.. Makes no sense to me.

Welcome to the club. Put your lens on and go out and enjoy the camera.

03-19-2010, 03:18 PM   #9
hcc
Pentaxian

A small comment on your 1st point. I use both card reader and USB cable. I have 2 computers at 2 different placed: one has a reader and the other not.

The card reader is definitely faster and this is helpful when I want to transfer a lot of shots. However the cable is as reliable.

In any case, I always empty my card to my HDDs: I have 2 computers with 2 HDD backups each. In simple, my SD card is always nearly empty, unless I did a full week of heavy shooting.