Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2010, 12:59 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Flash and Kx

With an external flash and the Kx, is it possible to use a flash like the Metz 48 wirelessly without the built in flash firing?. I read the manual with no luck and probably just need to read it again.

03-19-2010, 03:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes, but you need to buy some radio triggers. Otherwise, how will the camera tell the flash to fire?
03-19-2010, 09:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So I guess an easier way for what I was thinking, is just to mount the flash on the camera and bounce it off something? I'm very new to this so pardon my ignorance. The Kx does work with an external flash wirelessly, correct? It just needs the on board flash to fire as a master?
03-20-2010, 01:38 AM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gregor Quote
So I guess an easier way for what I was thinking, is just to mount the flash on the camera and bounce it off something? I'm very new to this so pardon my ignorance. The Kx does work with an external flash wirelessly, correct? It just needs the on board flash to fire as a master?
Yes and no. It CAN work that way, but doesn't have to.

You can choose to use wired/wireless flash triggers too.

Check out this thread HERE for some great information and great visuals of what the product looks like (other similar products will...look similar lol)

Hope that helps.

03-20-2010, 07:35 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
With an external flash and the Kx, is it possible to use a flash like the Metz 48 wirelessly without the built in flash firing?. I read the manual with no luck and probably just need to read it again.
If you go to the custom settings menu in the K-x and find the function that says "Flash in wireless mode", select setting #2, then fire the camera. (Of course your pop up flash will be up). Your Metz 48 flash has a wireless P-TTL function (I can not recall how to activate it without one in front of me) and when the camera fires the on board flash will not fire...only the remote Metz flash will. The sequence goes like this

Camera flashes to tell the remote flash that it needs to fire.

Remote flash fires back to confirm it will flash and measures how much light will be needed.

The camera flash fires to give the command to the remote flash to fire.

The remote flash fires individually during the exposure.

This sequence will occur in a very short period of time (1/5000 to 1/10,000 sec.) so the way to test that it will work is as follows: Put a subject directly in front of the on camera flash, and put a larger subject behind it. When you take the photo, look at the shadow on the larger subject behind the one directly in front of the flash. The position of that shadow will tell you if the on camera flash fired during the exposure or not.

Good luck and let us know how that goes.
03-22-2010, 02:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
just set your k-x to use on cam flash as control only, not master... its in your menu somewhere. read both menus carefully... just a matter of RTFM really..
03-22-2010, 09:56 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dnaseigel Quote
If you go to the custom settings menu in the K-x and find the function that says "Flash in wireless mode", select setting #2, then fire the camera. (Of course your pop up flash will be up). Your Metz 48 flash has a wireless P-TTL function (I can not recall how to activate it without one in front of me) and when the camera fires the on board flash will not fire...only the remote Metz flash will. The sequence goes like this

Camera flashes to tell the remote flash that it needs to fire.

Remote flash fires back to confirm it will flash and measures how much light will be needed.

The camera flash fires to give the command to the remote flash to fire.

The remote flash fires individually during the exposure.

This sequence will occur in a very short period of time (1/5000 to 1/10,000 sec.) so the way to test that it will work is as follows: Put a subject directly in front of the on camera flash, and put a larger subject behind it. When you take the photo, look at the shadow on the larger subject behind the one directly in front of the flash. The position of that shadow will tell you if the on camera flash fired during the exposure or not.

Good luck and let us know how that goes.
Very cool! Thank you much.