Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2010, 02:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Dropped... Camera...

Guys... I dropped my camera...about 1 feet onto mud. It's a K-X. Everything seems to be fine, but the thing I'm worried about is, did the mirror slap get damaged, or the shake reduction being damaged. What are the easiest things to get damaged when dropping a camera?

Yes, this is probably my second question about damaging my equipment, usually I'm a really really caring guy for my equipment...

Really noob question, never had an expensive camera before, and never dropped an expensive camera before.

03-19-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
Pentaxian

did the mirror slap get damaged? I didn't get that
take a few shots, if everything seems ok then it probably is
03-19-2010, 03:01 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I'm no expert, and as much of a Noob as you, but wouldn't the easieast way to find out if you messed it up is to clean it, dry it, and take some shots?
03-19-2010, 03:12 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A main concern, at your place, would be to clean very, very thoroughly your camera and lens from any grain of mud. I would be even more careful when I change my lens next time. A lot of TLC and a wet cloth will do a lot to help. (TLC = tender, love & care.)

I speak from experience with my FZ20, Oly C700 and Oly 790sw in the mud ....

03-19-2010, 03:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by The Kurly One Quote
I'm no expert, and as much of a Noob as you, but wouldn't the easieast way to find out if you messed it up is to clean it, dry it, and take some shots?
Eh... It's FINE but... is it GOOD? Yeah I'm pretty noob... and just a bit paranoid. I don't want to waste anyone's time or anything, but is it able to damage the shake reduction? or umm.. the shutter? or the mirror inside?
03-19-2010, 03:25 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I doubt it's damaged. There was a K7 dropped on cement just recently, and it is fine.
1 foot would not give much in the way of G forces. Did land on it's bottom or what?
03-19-2010, 03:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wildlifephotog Quote
I doubt it's damaged. There was a K7 dropped on cement just recently, and it is fine.
1 foot would not give much in the way of G forces. Did land on it's bottom or what?
Bottom, lens cap came off, lens is fine.
03-19-2010, 03:35 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Clean it off well, and get back to shooting.
And watch those butter fingers.

03-19-2010, 03:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wildlifephotog Quote
Clean it off well, and get back to shooting.
And watch those butter fingers.
More like butter bag LOL. I learned my lesson, never to leave it in your bag on a table unattended outside!
03-19-2010, 04:24 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NecroticSoldier Quote
Eh... It's FINE but... is it GOOD? Yeah I'm pretty noob... and just a bit paranoid. I don't want to waste anyone's time or anything, but is it able to damage the shake reduction? or umm.. the shutter? or the mirror inside?
technically all of the above can be damaged. if the frame is the same as you see in the viewfinder than the mirror is ok (plus you can see the mirror by yourself), whether it functions properly, you probably won't have to look if there is a problem. I think you can tell if SR works properly by simply testing it.

I wouldn't worry to much if I were you, K-x might look like a toy but it's pretty solid
03-19-2010, 06:36 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
technically all of the above can be damaged. if the frame is the same as you see in the viewfinder than the mirror is ok (plus you can see the mirror by yourself), whether it functions properly, you probably won't have to look if there is a problem. I think you can tell if SR works properly by simply testing it.

I wouldn't worry to much if I were you, K-x might look like a toy but it's pretty solid
Yeah it is ;(. Most worried about the SR I don't know how to test...
03-19-2010, 06:49 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NecroticSoldier Quote
Yeah it is ;(. Most worried about the SR I don't know how to test...
Take some pictures.. Take some with, and some without. Compare the results to what you were able to do before the splash.

03-19-2010, 07:01 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am sure the SR is fine. The biggest issue is generally the lens (sometimes you can get decentering or other problems with a drop like that). The other thing is that you can shake the electronics connections lose on the inside.
03-19-2010, 07:08 PM   #14

I'm no expert, but you should be fine as long as you give it a good cleaning. Mud is fairly soft, so you shouldn't have any problems due to the collision, but you just gotta make sure you clean everything properly to prevent any sludge from getting inside.
03-19-2010, 07:41 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys ;/ I'll do some testing... for the most part it seems fine... but from the Rondec said. It just scares the .... out of me haha.