Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2010, 12:35 PM   #31
Banned

I think a person can if they let themselves, love an inanimate object, if that object brings them joy. its not all that strange if you think about it. love is just a chemical reaction, (not that I want to downplay it, as I love my girlfriend dearly) and pretty much anything can cause those feelings to stir in a person.

im not sure if I love any of my equipment, but I think if I do, it is my Asahi Pentax SV. its so elegant, beautiful and finely crafted. everytime I look at it, I just get such a sense of joy. and of course holding and using it... what a pleasure. I think this is what a leica lover must feel about his camera. when you find a camera that just 'fits' you, its probably not hard to fall in love with it. I think I also feel the same about my Auto-Takumar lenses. I love using them more than I love admiring them, and I love playing with light more than I love discussing equipment. but its possible, that I may love my SV. its possible.

03-29-2010, 12:54 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Naturenut Quote
You guys...you know what I meant. lol I guess I was just feeling overwhelmingly happy with my choice (when I posted this) so I wanted some validation. lmao ;-)
Even though my post was tongue-in-cheek, it's fairly true. If I loved any of my cameras, it would be my LX. And, if my K10 was as easy to use with my old K-mount lenses as my LX was, I'd probably love it, too.
03-29-2010, 05:36 PM   #33
mel
Veteran Member

You guys...you know what I meant. lol I guess I was just feeling overwhelmingly happy with my choice (when I posted this) so I wanted some validation. lmao ;-)
Yeah you gotta be prepared for this kind of response from this crowd. Guys.
03-30-2010, 06:45 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Heehee, Mel.

It's funny because the longer I have my K20D, the more I realize how fantastic it is for a beginner to have. I easily could have fallen into the "Best Buy' $800 Canon T1i" marketing lane. But after doing research I realized that my K20 offered a lot more room for growth and much more 'bang for the buck', with its weather sealing, etc.
I do think people really neglect how good a K20d could be for a 'serious beginner' ...it does seem the school of thought has changed on what makes a good 'student camera' ...likely purely because of pricing, but having all the controls right there is really something we used to take for granted while teaching. Nowadays they steer them to something more plasticky and with things buried in menues and all, scene modes, etc.

(Nothing inherently wrong with scene modes, to my mind, as long as they don't take up too much real estate: they're just more program lines. When I was toting my little Lumix megazoom guy around, I'd leave the 'SCN' spot on the dial set to 'snow,' a common condition where I was, and I could just turn the mode dial there, and the camera would do competent things when the brightness meant I couldn't see the displays too well. No real 'setting by feel' on that machine But, I think, for students looking to learn the nuts and bolts, they're a big temptation to not pay attention to what they want to be learning about. )

I'm expecting to stay with my K20d for quite a while: couldn't expect to upgrade every single model, anyway, at this rate, and he does everything I need quite-to-reasonably well. Do love this thing, (And not just in the sense I tend to treat camera bodies at least like pets. Even have named them, which is not only the custom for important items, but actually makes pretty handy reference, especially if you have relatively-lots of old film bodies around. Keeps my sweetie's eyes from glazing over with brands, models, and specificities when I inevitably refer to a camera or something, too.

Some probably have more sentimental attachment than others, particularly those that have been with me longest. Memories attached, and all, even if they aren't in a lot of use, lately. At least one of these, I'm pretty sure I could tell my own ones from other examples of the same model just by feel.

03-30-2010, 08:01 AM   #35
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I asolutately love my camera. It is normal and cheap - K1000, wih 50mm 1.7 lens. I love its sound when I press shutter, I love its viewer, I love the movement of the F ring.. I love all tools I have (although there are not good)
03-30-2010, 08:10 AM   #36
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by 4Vn_Shotter Quote
I asolutately love my camera. It is normal and cheap - K1000, wih 50mm 1.7 lens. I love its sound when I press shutter, I love its viewer, I love the movement of the F ring.. I love all tools I have (although there are not good)
I never understood the love affair with the K1000, and I doubt I ever will. also your country is so beautiful.
03-30-2010, 08:33 AM   #37

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Heehee, Mel.

I do think people really neglect how good a K20d could be for a 'serious beginner' ...it does seem the school of thought has changed on what makes a good 'student camera' ...likely purely because of pricing, but having all the controls right there is really something we used to take for granted while teaching. Nowadays they steer them to something more plasticky and with things buried in menues and all, scene modes, etc.
(Nothing inherently wrong with scene modes, to my mind, as long as they don't take up too much real estate: they're just more program lines. When I was toting my little Lumix megazoom guy around, I'd leave the 'SCN' spot on the dial set to 'snow,' a common condition where I was, and I could just turn the mode dial there, and the camera would do competent things when the brightness meant I couldn't see the displays too well. No real 'setting by feel' on that machine But, I think, for students looking to learn the nuts and bolts, they're a big temptation to not pay attention to what they want to be learning about. )

I'm expecting to stay with my K20d for quite a while: couldn't expect to upgrade every single model, anyway, at this rate, and he does everything I need quite-to-reasonably well. Do love this thing, (And not just in the sense I tend to treat camera bodies at least like pets. Even have named them, which is not only the custom for important items, but actually makes pretty handy reference, especially if you have relatively-lots of old film bodies around. Keeps my sweetie's eyes from glazing over with brands, models, and specificities when I inevitably refer to a camera or something, too.

Some probably have more sentimental attachment than others, particularly those that have been with me longest. Memories attached, and all, even if they aren't in a lot of use, lately. At least one of these, I'm pretty sure I could tell my own ones from other examples of the same model just by feel.
And that's exactly what I wanted to avoid. My income isn't all that disposable so I decided that if I was going to make the investment I would buy the best quality I could afford and the one that I could truly learn to be a photographer on (rather than a POSer). In that sense I'm terifficaly happy with my choice of the K20D and expect it will be with me for some time.