Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2010, 04:13 PM   #1

Do you love your camera?

Well even though I may be a little behind the times, I love my K20D. It's my first dslr and I couldn't be happier with it. That said, with the release of the K7, are you still 'in love' with your earlier Pentax version and if so, why? I'm in no hurry to replace my K20D...how about you?

03-19-2010, 04:20 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Not in the biblical sense and I don't have a favourite (I have more than one camera). Also, it's the lens that is more important than the camera unless one has a feature that another does not, live view on the K20D for example whereas my K10D does not have it.

I do feel somehow not whole though when I go somewhere without a camera but that's more a case of loving photography than the camera (or lens).
03-19-2010, 04:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've been kinda thinking about it as the improved AF and improved AF in lowlight (thanks to that beam) would be a major asset for me.

But I think I will wait until the next generation to see how the lessons learned from the 645D and the Kx will bring to Pentax For now, my K20D and K10D serve me very very well, with my K20D doing most of the frontline work.
03-19-2010, 04:25 PM   #4

I love my K20 so I got another used one...

03-19-2010, 04:34 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Not in the biblical sense and I don't have a favourite (I have more than one camera). Also, it's the lens that is more important than the camera unless one has a feature that another does not, live view on the K20D for example whereas my K10D does not have it.

I do feel somehow not whole though when I go somewhere without a camera but that's more a case of loving photography than the camera (or lens).
It's funny because the longer I have my K20D, the more I realize how fantastic it is for a beginner to have. I easily could have fallen into the "Best Buy' $800 Canon T1i" marketing lane. But after doing research I realized that my K20 offered a lot more room for growth and much more 'bang for the buck', with its weather sealing, etc.
03-19-2010, 04:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

There's a truism around here somewhere:

Amateurs worry about cameras. Pros worry about lenses. Photographers worry about light.

I would truly miss my K20D if it disappeared, but there are more where it came from. I truly missed my Olympus Pen-FT when it was stolen. I missed my Sony DSC-V1's the two times I wore them out, that I bought more; I'm on my third. I very much missed my 1934 Kodak Retina I, the first 135 camera, when it was stolen, because I really learned PHOTOGRAPHY with it; but now I have a near-clone, so I'm OK.

I would certainly miss some of my lenses. Like the K20D, many are replaceable. But some probably aren't, at least nowhere near the original price point. I can say I love certain of those lenses, for the special image qualities they convey. And I'm crazy about certain others because they're just so <i>bizarre</i>.

Mostly, I love good light, and I hate being where the light is drab, flat, gray. Ick.
03-19-2010, 05:24 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I like my cameras, I am very fond of my lenses, and I really, really love my Photogenics.
03-19-2010, 07:34 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I too, like my camera - I like my car also!

But I love my wife, my kids and my g-kids!

03-19-2010, 09:16 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I'm working my way towards getting a K-7, maybe in a month or so but no great hurry. I love my *ist DS for lots of reasons, one being that my wife gave it to me. I don't plan to sell it for that reason alone. If it stays unused for too long, I might convert it to IR-only or give it to a family member.

I start loving lenses when I use them for photos that came out great.
03-19-2010, 09:41 PM   #10

I love my k20d but im not IN love with it. That would be gross.
03-20-2010, 01:52 AM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Naturenut Quote
Well even though I may be a little behind the times, I love my K20D. It's my first dslr and I couldn't be happier with it. That said, with the release of the K7, are you still 'in love' with your earlier Pentax version and if so, why? I'm in no hurry to replace my K20D...how about you?
I love my K-x. Researched DSLR's for over two months looking for the perfect one, I was just about to pull the trigger on the Nikon D90, when I saw the K-x. Same sensor, same great High ISO performance, KICK ARSE WHITE COLOR, and half the price. I fell in love lol

It's nice to have spent a good chunk of change on something, and not regret it one bit!
03-20-2010, 02:43 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I thought about this a bit.

I resist the idea of "loving" gear. In general I just look at my gear as a tool - it works and works well for it's intended purpose or not.

But -
After over 50 years of messing about with cameras I thought of one camera that came close to deserving my love.

A Nikon S2 rangefinder c1955. It was a photographer's camera. Small, light, simple, compact, very well made with close to perfect ergonomics. Everything you needed but nothing more. Almost perfect for street photography, candids or journalism. Very fast to use under real shooting conditions. You put it up to your eye and it got out of your way and became transparent.

If they made a digital S2 with the addition of auto exposure (don't care about AF) and virtually zero shutter lag I would buy one.

It seems to me camera's these day are not made for photographers they are made to sell off the shelf at Walmart.

There is a lot to like in a modern DSLR but I don't find them lovable.

Last edited by wildman; 03-20-2010 at 02:55 AM.
03-20-2010, 03:19 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I started with a K-2000 but quickly upgraded to the K-7 a few months after that was released, I just didn't feel like the K-2000 was enough for me, it felt lacking in a way despite the fact that it did have SR, screw-drive, etc. After having the K-7, I fell in love with this camera and I am not planning to upgrade until the shutter dies; so by the time they have a K-12 version of the K-7, then that'll probably be time for me to replace it. As for now I am pretty much set with these beautifully sharp and quality glass as long as my DA*'s are good to auto focus up to even 6 years from now. There are still some people who still use the first Pentax DSLR, istD from back in 2003 and still are going, so that'll be me with my K-7.
03-20-2010, 05:52 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I liked my K10D from the moment I picked it up in the store. The ergonomics are perfect for me. I felt comfortable with it from the first shot. I will probably upgrade to another body at some point down the road and I would hope that the next one will be as nice to handle and use.
03-20-2010, 07:00 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I love my family and my friends and even a certain cat.

But an inanimate object??

Mickey