Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2010, 06:57 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Camera Security

After a life of P&S's, I now have the Kx, and three lenses. (Two kit lenses and the Tamron 28-75 2.8)

I know the total investment is not much compared to what some of you have, but for me, this is a large investment! I don't even wear expensive jewelry; too much to worry about. (Well that and it costs too much ; )

So with an upcoming trip, I'd like to know what if anything you do to your gear for security. Do you just have your name and number on your bag like any other travel bag? Do you have the camera itself in any way ID'd? I know it would do no good if someone wants to take it, but if I leave it some where or something......

I guess I just need any tips you might have on keeping the stuff safe when traveling with a family. (Kids are very distracting!)

Thanks!

03-20-2010, 07:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Just use "common sense" and remember especially when leaving a site you do a quick check that what you arrived with is what you're leaving with, it's kind of embarrassing when you get back to the hotel or home with an extra animal or child in tow
03-20-2010, 07:20 AM   #3
efg

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Just use "common sense" and remember especially when leaving a site you do a quick check that what you arrived with is what you're leaving with, it's kind of embarrassing when you get back to the hotel or home with an extra animal or child in tow

Yes, common sense is key. I must make new habits! People are very distracting for me.

And I must hear the story about the extra animal or child!

Thanks.
03-20-2010, 08:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Name somewhere on/in bag so that an honest person has a way of contacting me if I manage to lose it. Insurance (an all-risk worldwide personal article policy at about $40/year) to cover the possibility of theft or damage. That plus being careful.

03-20-2010, 08:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Get extra Pentax stickers and no one will want it.
03-20-2010, 08:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Do Pentax DSLR not have provision for entry of Owner Name to appear in image EXIF?

I saw an amusing web page showing a series of images of the owner holding cards stating basically "this is my camera, thanks for finding it, this is my contact info, etc.", kept undeleted (and protected) on memory card. Anyone finding the camera who reviews the images can easily see the info on the tiny camera screen.

Keep a list of serial numbers with your ID.

Etching ID info on camera and lenses seriously reduces resale value; not recommended!

Got business cards? Freely distribute among equipment bags & lens cases.

Some folks cover brand ID markings on camera and lens to avoid "advertising" (don't forget the strap!), and some crazy people go so far as to make body look like, well, a turd no thief would look at twice.
03-20-2010, 09:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

When I stop somewhere and put my bag down, I usually put the strap around my leg, so nobody can take off with it, and it also keeps me from forgetting the bag when I leave. I also have insurance and some ID in the bag.

03-20-2010, 12:09 PM   #8
efg

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. These are all very helpful tips!

QuoteOriginally posted by rhodopsin Quote
Do Pentax DSLR not have provision for entry of Owner Name to appear in image EXIF?

I saw an amusing web page showing a series of images of the owner holding cards stating basically "this is my camera, thanks for finding it, this is my contact info, etc.", kept undeleted (and protected) on memory card. Anyone finding the camera who reviews the images can easily see the info on the tiny camera screen.

Keep a list of serial numbers with your ID.

Etching ID info on camera and lenses seriously reduces resale value; not recommended!

Got business cards? Freely distribute among equipment bags & lens cases.

Some folks cover brand ID markings on camera and lens to avoid "advertising" (don't forget the strap!), and some crazy people go so far as to make body look like, well, a turd no thief would look at twice.
Good ideas, thanks! Actually, the photo idea is something I hadn't thought of. I could just make a jpeg with my info on it using my PP program and transfer it to the card, so even if the camera is left without the bag there is inherent ID for an honest returner.

Insurance and the strap on the leg are good ideas too. Thanks!
03-20-2010, 12:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Keeping an inventory of your gear, including serial numbers, might be useful. Keep the list seperate from the camera bag; your wallet, perhaps. If your stuff is stolen, in the admittedly unlikely event that the thief is caught, or you find it in a local pawn shop, you have some evidence that it is yours.

If you're traveling outside the country, you can register your equipment with the US Customs Service. Unfortunately, you must physically bring all your gear to a customs office. They will record the serial numbers on a special form. Then, when returning to the US, the customs officer can't claim that you bought the equipment abroad and charge you duty on it. This record would serve as your inventory.
03-20-2010, 03:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dragonfly Quote
Get extra Pentax stickers and no one will want it.
That's funny!!But a valid point
03-23-2010, 04:52 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I make stick-on labels for each component that's large enough, with my name and contact info. I think the odds of leaving something behind is much more than theft. I've left equipment a couple of times, but in each case was lucky enough to realize it soon, so I was able to retrieve it.

Paul
03-25-2010, 08:14 AM   #12
efg

Original Poster
Thanks for more ideas. Serial numbers, inventory, and stickers are good ideas too.

03-25-2010, 10:37 AM   #13
Veteran Member

When my father bought photo equipment (or other device) he intended to keep, he engraved his name and driver's license number on it. That was his way of rendering his gear worthless to thieves. (And when he bought a book or music or video, he wrote the date of purchase on it.) (And his preferred welfare system was overtipping waitresses.) And he carried camera gear in bags marked with names of downscale makers ('Seagull' for his Minolta and Rollei TLRs, etc) and taped over the names on the camera bodies. A little paranoia goes a long way. Maybe you could rebrand all your Pentax stuff as Vivitar.
03-26-2010, 07:04 AM   #14
efg

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
When my father bought photo equipment (or other device) he intended to keep, he engraved his name and driver's license number on it. That was his way of rendering his gear worthless to thieves. (And when he bought a book or music or video, he wrote the date of purchase on it.) (And his preferred welfare system was overtipping waitresses.) And he carried camera gear in bags marked with names of downscale makers ('Seagull' for his Minolta and Rollei TLRs, etc) and taped over the names on the camera bodies. A little paranoia goes a long way. Maybe you could rebrand all your Pentax stuff as Vivitar.
Sounds like your father was a careful man. Thanks for sharing his ideas.

These days people never want to engrave for the sake of future resale. It's kind of strange that now we buy with the plan to sell and upgrade already in place, and no one really owns anything for good anymore. Companies aren't the only ones using planned obsolescence.

Personally, I can't imagine ever wanting to get rid of the Kx unless it falls apart. I know technology improvements compel, but I don't even want to let go of my two- cameras ago- Kodak DX7590 because it has it's own wonderful photographic charm.

I never even heard of Seagull!
03-26-2010, 12:34 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Name somewhere on/in bag so that an honest person has a way of contacting me if I manage to lose it. Insurance (an all-risk worldwide personal article policy at about $40/year) to cover the possibility of theft or damage. That plus being careful.
Marc, did you have to get your equipment appraised for this type of policy, or are purchase receipts good enough? What about used gear purchased via PayPal from private owners? I ask, because I looked into such a policy for my guitars and amps, and I had to get everything appraised. What a pain....

Thx!