Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2010, 07:18 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Question on how to get photo as sharp as this with Pentax ?

Ok ... from time to time I look at various people's photos. This guy's portfolio blows me away .... Fullframe v/Atle Goutbeek

I don't know what camera he uses - I guess a Canon 5D MkII or so. But his photos have this ultra sharp and *very clean* sort of feel to them - the perfect blend of lighting, color and clarity.

I am at the point where I am starting to wonder if my K10D is not good enough or I need to learn more techniques. In general, I am beginning to question Pentax versus Nikon and Canon. No offense!

Does clarity vary impeccably if I compare 10megapixel cameras from Pentax to 10mgp in Nikon or Canaon? Or special lenses are doing the magic ? I am sure lighting & post processing plays an important role as well; but I wonder if any Pentax user on this forum knows and produces images like the ones above with Pentax gear.

What kind of gear from Pentax for the outdoor portraits will help me get this amount of sharpness ?

thanks in advance,
sbw

03-20-2010, 07:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The 5D and 1D series from Canon use full frame sensors, it's larger than APS-C sensors that are used in all DSLR's under 2,000 besides the Sony A850. Here's a image showing a APS-C sensor, the one used in Canon 7D & 50D, Nikon D300s & D90, Sony A700 & A500, and Pentax K10D & K-7 - next to a full frame sensor used by cameras such as the Canon 1DS IV, Sony A900, and Nikon D3x

Generally full frames will show much more detail assuming you're using full frame lenses. Photography by Conor Doherty he uses a K10D. You don't need a full frame to take good sharp photos, you just need a combination of good exposure and good lenses. You also might want to check out Benjamin Kanarek Photographer ftvstudio.com featured member who uses a K20D and shoots professionaly in France for fashion magazines such as Vogue.

Last edited by LeDave; 03-20-2010 at 07:35 PM.
03-20-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shadowbecomeswhite Quote
Ok ... from time to time I look at various people's photos. This guy's portfolio blows me away .... Fullframe v/Atle Goutbeek

I don't know what camera he uses - I guess a Canon 5D MkII or so. But his photos have this ultra sharp and *very clean* sort of feel to them - the perfect blend of lighting, color and clarity.

I am at the point where I am starting to wonder if my K10D is not good enough or I need to learn more techniques. In general, I am beginning to question Pentax versus Nikon and Canon. No offense!

Does clarity vary impeccably if I compare 10megapixel cameras from Pentax to 10mgp in Nikon or Canaon? Or special lenses are doing the magic ? I am sure lighting & post processing plays an important role as well; but I wonder if any Pentax user on this forum knows and produces images like the ones above with Pentax gear.

What kind of gear from Pentax for the outdoor portraits will help me get this amount of sharpness ?

thanks in advance,
sbw
Think about this: even if you use the best camera - you will never get those pictures - because the most essential part of that stunning photo is the person behind it, the photographer; unless you are skilled enough to become one. This is common mistake people make which is: "If I have a better camera, my photos will be better".
03-20-2010, 07:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Aleonx3 is right, if you don't know how to expose correctly, your pictures out of a DSLR will look no different than a point and shoot; and speaking of that, someone with a full frame may not shoot better pictures than someone with an APS-C. As to answering your question to which gear will help you shoot the photos you want, you'd need to pick up some books or do some online research on how to operate and understand the basic functions of the DSLR and lenses.

03-20-2010, 09:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Im pretty sure your K10D is capable of getting those results too. It mostly has to do with lighting, Post processing and the photographer..
What exactly dont you like with your pics?
Have you visited the Pentax Photo Gallery? Lots of stunning photos ive seen are on the premier collection IMO even better than what you provided
with the link Portfolio.
03-20-2010, 11:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shadowbecomeswhite Quote
I am less impressed than you. What a boring photographer. His subjects are so banal and cliched. And all his photos are post-processed to the Nth degree, and often horribly so (eg all the fake vignetting). Ewww.

Little to be impressed or inspired about here. Many photos are technically OK but that's all I'd give him credit for.

You could do everything he has done with an Olympus, Nikon, Canon, Sony or Pentax body, full-frame or APS-C. Or with film.
03-21-2010, 12:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

hidden knowledge

There is also a little-known and little-used photographic tool, a mysterious device called a TRIPOD. Long fallen into neglect, failure to use the TRIPOD is blamed for many of today's photographic failures. Those who keep mystic wisdom alive in dark enclaves whisper that the TRIPOD will magically endow photographs with clarity, sharpness, precision, all the qualities that made Daguerreotypes so special and snapshots so shoddy. You too can make your photographs come alive and satisfy even the most demanding pixel-peepers. Or so it is claimed. Do you dare try?

03-21-2010, 02:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
There is also a little-known and little-used photographic tool, a mysterious device called a TRIPOD. Long fallen into neglect, failure to use the TRIPOD is blamed for many of today's photographic failures. Those who keep mystic wisdom alive in dark enclaves whisper that the TRIPOD will magically endow photographs with clarity, sharpness, precision, all the qualities that made Daguerreotypes so special and snapshots so shoddy. You too can make your photographs come alive and satisfy even the most demanding pixel-peepers. Or so it is claimed. Do you dare try?
RioRico ,
fail not OH Great One, to mention the switching off of SR when using the mystical tripod and the use of the built in time delay in the K10, then surely the OP will findeth he is on the road to photographic Nirvana
03-21-2010, 02:28 AM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's all about lighting.
Have a look at the work done by our forum's own maestro devisor and I'm sure you'll be convinced that it's not your camera that is lacking but quality and creativity in the lighting department.
03-21-2010, 02:31 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is a mixture of things need to get excellent photographs. Most of it will depend on you -- first of all seeing the image you want to create and then using the skills you have to capture the image. Finally, you need to spend time postprocessing to get the image into its final form.

All of these things take skill. A tripod is not necessarily the only way to get sharp photos, but you do need to have faster shutter speeds if you don't use one.

People want full frame cameras for a number of reasons, but the ability to shoot sharp photographs is not something that separates them from the crop sensor class.
03-21-2010, 10:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member

How to get photo as sharp as this with Pentax ?

Maybe you could try to upgrade the most important part of your camera kit: the photographer. That is the key part of any photographic system but also the hardest to upgrade. (I have heard rumors that Pentax is secretly working on a prototype though...)

Just kidding!
03-21-2010, 11:13 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
RioRico ,
fail not OH Great One, to mention the switching off of SR when using the mystical tripod and the use of the built in time delay in the K10, then surely the OP will findeth he is on the road to photographic Nirvana
And neglect not the humble Remote Control F!
03-21-2010, 12:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
RioRico ,
You don't need to switch off SR when you use the 2 sec or 3 sec delay; the camera does that for you.
03-21-2010, 02:38 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! Yes, I have used a tripod with SR off, used remote and shot RAW. Been using it for 2 years.

Yes, I agree that the photographer matters! But over time, one learns new techniques and improves - that's what I am trying to do. However, the gear matters too - otherwise I would not shift from a point-n-shoot to a DSLR. I just haven't played with a multitude of cameras, lenses & softwares to assert what it takes to get to that level. Was hoping someone in here has that much of an extensive experience.

It was heartening to learn that I should try more things than think about switching the camera... I think lighting and post-processing techniques is the answer here.

-sbw
K10D
Sigma 17-70/2.8
Sigma 70-200/2.8
Sigma 105mm/2.8
Pentax 50mm/1.4
Giottos Tripod + Manfrotto Pan Head
K1000 with 28mm lens
03-21-2010, 02:58 PM   #15
Veteran Member

You're comparing yourself to a guy who a) uses fullframe equipment and studio gear and b) is a fulltime pro who started up his own company 10 years ago and does nothing but professional photography 365/365. He has accrued huge experience (remember for every great shot he's probably tried 50 ways to get it right and rejected 49 because of customer feedback, his own eye etc). You're underestimating his experience as a photographer. See, if he had your equipment, he'd still make incredibly good pictures .