Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2010, 07:34 PM   #1

K10D dust/scratches

I am considering a K10D and have seen a few for sale with comments regarding minor cosmetic issues that negate a "mint condition" or similar top rating.

One reported a couple of "light scratches" on the rear screen which supposedly were not even visible when the camera is turned on. Another mentioned a small amount of dust in the viewfinder.

How hard is it to change the rear screen if in fact it did have a couple of light scratches caused by negligent handling? How hard is it to clean dust out of a viewfinder?

If either of these issues is easily corrected, and the rest of the camera is in excellent condition, should they be a deterrent to a purchase?

Thanks.

03-20-2010, 08:35 PM   #2
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If the screen scratches are minimal don't worry about it. For the average person, changing out the rear LCD would be near impossible and cost prohibitive. Dust happens, as they say. It can sometimes be blown out with a rocket blower. Care must be taken, however, it is not hard to do. I occasionally try to clean mine out. It is not much different than cleaning your sensor. If the price is right and the shutter count is low, the K10D is still a great camera
03-20-2010, 08:59 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NRV Shooter Quote
I am considering a K10D and have seen a few for sale with comments regarding minor cosmetic issues that negate a "mint condition" or similar top rating.

One reported a couple of "light scratches" on the rear screen which supposedly were not even visible when the camera is turned on. Another mentioned a small amount of dust in the viewfinder.

How hard is it to change the rear screen if in fact it did have a couple of light scratches caused by negligent handling? How hard is it to clean dust out of a viewfinder?

If either of these issues is easily corrected, and the rest of the camera is in excellent condition, should they be a deterrent to a purchase?

Thanks.
First off, Any K10d you buy is going to be used, some more than others.. A light scratch or two on the rear screen isn't anything to get worked up about and I wouldn't bother trying to change it. Just put a protective film or screen over it to protect it from further scratches. As you've suggested the sellers state, these aren't even visible when the screen is on.

Dust in the Viewfinder can be any number of things. It could be on the mirror, the focus screen, the prism any combo of them or all 3. If the focus screen has never been removed, then odds are the dust is on the bottom of the screen or on the mirror. In either case, it can probably be blown off.

Of more concern would be the sensor. Likely it's been cleaned in the past. Did the seller (or whoever cleaned it) Scratch it? If so, you're looking at the cost of another K10d or even a K20d to have it replaced. After that, Does the camera turn on, Focus, take photos, etc..

Honestly, if cosmetics are a huge concern (unless listed as Mint or like new), buy a new camera.

Good luck..

03-20-2010, 09:19 PM   #4

The only thing I use the rear lcd is for making sure the exposure and focus turned out ok. A few scratches dont matter at all for that. Granted I have a K100D that does not have live view anyway. Dust in the viewfinder is going to be inevitable I feel, I wouldnt worry about it.

03-20-2010, 09:32 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by basso4735 Quote
The only thing I use the rear lcd is for making sure the exposure and focus turned out ok. A few scratches dont matter at all for that. Granted I have a K100D that does not have live view anyway. Dust in the viewfinder is going to be inevitable I feel, I wouldnt worry about it.
Neither does the K10d.

03-20-2010, 09:40 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Neither does the K10d.

I didnt think it did but I have not looked into that model at all. So to the OP, I would not worry at all if the seller is being truthful about a few light scratches.
03-21-2010, 07:39 AM   #7

Original Poster
I will go look at the one with the "couple of light scratches" on the rear screen just to make sure, as I don't think they affect picture quality in any way, and the rest of the package is attractive.

Thanks so much for the experienced advice!