Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2010, 11:48 AM   #31
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Ira, I like to know too. Two things that come to mind for this issue - could it be focusing when the aperture is smallest is difficult because of available light? How do you do it? The method I use is to focus first with the aperture wide open, and then change the aperture - start counting as I turn the aperture ring, and then I hit the green button to get the proper shutter speed - then press the shutter release.

I have had some MF lens that I am not able to focus to infinity; but after adjusting and re-aligning the focus ring so that it can focus beyond infinity, then it works fine. Could this be the case with yours?
Yeah, when I want to shoot at the smallest aperture, that's all I do. And that's probably what it is--just doesn't allow enough light in there.

But they all focus fine--I just don't get the confirmation icon/beep.

And while it might drive others crazy in daylight, I have ZERO problems with how the focus confirmation is set up.

03-24-2010, 11:52 AM   #32
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwoo Quote
The reason why my Sears lens was unable to stop down meter properly was because of ISO, too. I had it on 1600! Once I brought it down to 200, I was able to stop down meter just fine in plenty of sunlight at f1.7 (shutter speed was still very fast, though, either 2000 or 4000). I forgot that in M mode, the ISO doesn't float...
THAT'S A BIGGIE!!! REMEMBERING WHAT ISO YOU'RE AT!!!

Your ISO also won't float in Av, Tv, and Sv (obviously) either. It only floats in P.
03-24-2010, 03:44 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote

Your ISO also won't float in Av, Tv, and Sv (obviously) either. It only floats in P.
On my K20D, ISO floats everywhere but in M-B-X modes. How to get the float? Hold down OK and hit the Green button. Press-toh change-oh.
03-24-2010, 07:23 PM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote

It does on mine. I run into this all the time. Set ISO to something in M then switch to another mode that supports auto ISO and it still stays at what you set it at rather than going back to the auto range.

03-24-2010, 08:09 PM   #35
Ira
Inactive Account

I think our definitions of float aren't the same.
03-25-2010, 11:23 AM   #36

I interpreted float as the camera's ability to choose the best ISO for you based on the range you have defined (I think the default range is 200-3200).

When I switch it M mode, set the ISO to 400, then later switch to Av mode, my camera still has the ISO set at 400. I have to go into the ISO menu, and hit the up arrow to switch it back to the auto 100-3200 range.
03-25-2010, 11:26 AM   #37

Oh I also found my 55mm lens at anything smaller than f/8 doesn't confirm focus either. I see what you're all talking about using the focus indicator at a bigger ap, then stopping down.

03-25-2010, 11:36 AM   #38
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Hemi345 Quote
I interpreted float as the camera's ability to choose the best ISO for you based on the range you have defined (I think the default range is 200-3200).

When I switch it M mode, set the ISO to 400, then later switch to Av mode, my camera still has the ISO set at 400. I have to go into the ISO menu, and hit the up arrow to switch it back to the auto 100-3200 range.
We're on the same page, but only if you have it set to auto, which I never do.

So actually, mine never floats--except I think in P, but not sure. Never shoot that way anyway.
03-25-2010, 11:38 AM   #39
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Hemi345 Quote
Oh I also found my 55mm lens at anything smaller than f/8 doesn't confirm focus either. I see what you're all talking about using the focus indicator at a bigger ap, then stopping down.
It's no real extra effort, and the better way to focus anyway.

We're just not ready to shoot thoroughbreds like that yet.