Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2010, 12:16 AM   #1
Forum Member

Oh no! I got a lens that won't fit!

So this is probably a total schoolboy error, but I got a Viv lens off ebay. It's a P/K-A mount lens and supposedly good to go on a pentax dslr. But it's not. It won't fit!

Have i made a stupid error in mount types? I hope I can get some help here.

Here's a pic of the lens mount.

Oh by the way, I have a K-7

Last edited by Ouroboros; 04-03-2011 at 08:37 PM.
03-23-2010, 12:39 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You need to cut/grind part of the flange or remove it altogether if you want to use it on your K7.
Pentax Digital
03-23-2010, 12:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Your right about it being a Pentax mount, however it won't fit your digital without a modification.

If you take your kit lens, and compare the mount with that one you most likely see that the black plastic protecting the tab sticking out is bigger than it is on the kit lens.

You'll often find that plastic piece is held on by 3 or so screws. If it is remove it, and use a file or a dremal to try matching the plastic piece on your kit lens.
I'd do it away from either lens and your camera, so you don't get shavings in them.

Then screw it back on, and try it.

If you can't remove that plastic piece, tape everything off and carefully fine it down. While still on the lens.
03-23-2010, 12:58 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
OK, sounds fun.

I see what you're talking about, that plastic is indeed much longer than the one on the kit lens. Good thing I have some mini screwdrivers around here.

Now, where's my Swiss army knife? BRB

03-23-2010, 01:07 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
OK, so the offending piece is actually made of metal and is going to pose an obvious problem in terms of modification.

Am I safe to just remove it and leave it off? It doesn't seem to hold anything else in place and there's nothing loose without it...

What do ya reckon? Am I in the clear?
03-23-2010, 01:15 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
I just took off the offending piece and put it on the camera, fits well.

One problem, everything's really dark... What's wrong?
03-23-2010, 01:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ouroboros Quote
I just took off the offending piece and put it on the camera, fits well.

One problem, everything's really dark... What's wrong?
Did you remove the lens cap?
03-23-2010, 01:27 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes but I did in fact have the aperture set all wrong.

More issues, The flashing "F" what the hell is it and how do I get rid of it?

Oh man, this is more difficult than I thought.

03-23-2010, 03:29 AM   #9
Forum Member

Did you set the K-x to allow for manual Apeture setting? It's on the last page of menu settings.
03-23-2010, 04:28 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Alright! Got that last page on the settings to allow manual aperture, that was the last part tripping me up. Got it working and lookin good!

Thanks for the help everyone!!!

Much appreciated
03-23-2010, 05:59 AM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Alright! Got that last page on the settings to allow manual aperture, that was the last part tripping me up. Got it working and lookin good!

Thanks for the help everyone!!!

Much appreciated
Did you set the Green button for Tv shift?

What you want to do is set the camera to M, input the correct focal length every time you put a manual lens on there, and shoot like this:

Select your aperture and focus, and hit the Green button to lock in the correct shutter speed. (You don't have to hold it down; just hit it once.) You may want to focus wide open, THEN go to the aperture you want, and then hit the Green button.

Don't use Av mode on the camera--it will only work as your lens being wide open, regardless of how you set the lens. Av mode will still meter correctly, but like I said, it will only do so at the lens's widest aperture.
03-23-2010, 07:28 AM   #12
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Did you set the Green button for Tv shift?

What you want to do is set the camera to M, input the correct focal length every time you put a manual lens on there, and shoot like this:

Select your aperture and focus, and hit the Green button to lock in the correct shutter speed. (You don't have to hold it down; just hit it once.) You may want to focus wide open, THEN go to the aperture you want, and then hit the Green button.

Don't use Av mode on the camera--it will only work as your lens being wide open, regardless of how you set the lens. Av mode will still meter correctly, but like I said, it will only do so at the lens's widest aperture.
03-23-2010, 07:37 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
That's overdoing it - just put the lens aperture ring on "A" and shoot as you would with any other MF lens (F-- will disappear)

You can see how easy we forget, the first picture shows that it is an A-lens!! funny...
03-23-2010, 07:51 AM   #14
Ira
Inactive Account

OOOPS!!!!!!

The mind is the first thing to go.
03-23-2010, 08:10 AM   #15
Veteran Member

OK, so the offending piece is actually made of metal and is going to pose an obvious problem in terms of modification.

Am I safe to just remove it and leave it off? It doesn't seem to hold anything else in place and there's nothing loose without it...

What do ya reckon? Am I in the clear?
I shoot another brand of digital, which requires me to either remove that tab altogether, or grind it flat. So I've just removed it with most lenses, and never had a problem.

However there are some people here that'll tell you it'll cause internal reflections.
If it gives you good pic's just leave it.