Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2010, 02:05 PM   #16
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mesa AZ
Posts: 81
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Look at the filter diameter on the lens--not the focal length--or look at your lens cap, which will give you the size. 49mm, 52mm, etc. (I don't remember the size for the 18-55, but I'll guess 49.)

then just go to Wal-Mart, Walgreens, wherever, and buy something cheap for now. It's not really worth the effort or money obsessing over a hood. They all pretty much do the same thing.
okay i understand now lol. wouldn't a good uv filter do the same thing?

03-24-2010, 02:42 PM   #17
Ira
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,216
QuoteOriginally posted by Oddity96 Quote
okay i understand now lol. wouldn't a good uv filter do the same thing?
A filter isn't a hood, but the SIZES would be the same because they screw into the same "thing."

A filter is a piece of glass, whereas a hood sticks out and prevents light from the side coming in. It doesn't cover the glass of the lens or anything.

Think of it as a little umbrella, with a hole in the middle, so the lens can see.
03-24-2010, 02:54 PM   #18
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mesa AZ
Posts: 81
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
A filter isn't a hood, but the SIZES would be the same because they screw into the same "thing."

A filter is a piece of glass, whereas a hood sticks out and prevents light from the side coming in. It doesn't cover the glass of the lens or anything.

Think of it as a little umbrella, with a hole in the middle, so the lens can see.
i understand that but does it not just help with stay light in the picture and does not a good uv filter do the same thing? thank you for bearing with all these newb questions but i can't learn if i don't ask.
03-24-2010, 03:06 PM   #19
Ira
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,216
QuoteOriginally posted by Oddity96 Quote
i understand that but does it not just help with stay light in the picture and does not a good uv filter do the same thing? thank you for bearing with all these newb questions but i can't learn if i don't ask.
Here's an analogy, because I can't draw a diagram:

Screw a filter on there, and put the barrel of a pistol at angle, at the outer edge of the filter, touching it. Pull the trigger and the bullet pierces the filter and lens.

Now, put a hood on there and do the same thing, figuratively speaking. The "wall" of the hood, sticking out an inch, two inches, whatever, blocks that bullet from entering your lens.

And in this analogy, that bullet is actually light.

Filters have their function, but they still allow stray light to enter from the sides. "Good" light enters at a "good" angle and is good, but the bad light coming from the outer perimeter of your lens at extreme angles bounce around like crazy and screw up your image with bad flare and glare.

03-24-2010, 03:22 PM   #20
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Look at the filter diameter on the lens--not the focal length--or look at your lens cap, which will give you the size. 49mm, 52mm, etc. (I don't remember the size for the 18-55, but I'll guess 49.)
The 18-55 has a 52mm thread. Meanwhile, other option: Take lens(es) to hardware / home supply / plumbing shop. Look at black rubber pipe fittings, see if any fit. Spend very little money. Use savings to invest in Hoya Corp.
03-24-2010, 03:26 PM   #21
Pentaxian
Marc Sabatella's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,686
QuoteOriginally posted by Oddity96 Quote
okay i understand now lol. wouldn't a good uv filter do the same thing?
A hood reduces flare, and might also help protect the lens. A filter also might protect a lens, but it generally makes flare worse, not better.
03-24-2010, 03:26 PM   #22
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mesa AZ
Posts: 81
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Here's an analogy, because I can't draw a diagram:

Screw a filter on there, and put the barrel of a pistol at angle, at the outer edge of the filter, touching it. Pull the trigger and the bullet pierces the filter and lens.

Now, put a hood on there and do the same thing, figuratively speaking. The "wall" of the hood, sticking out an inch, two inches, whatever, blocks that bullet from entering your lens.

And in this analogy, that bullet is actually light.

Filters have their function, but they still allow stray light to enter from the sides. "Good" light enters at a "good" angle and is good, but the bad light coming from the outer perimeter of your lens at extreme angles bounce around like crazy and screw up your image with bad flare and glare.
okay a uv filter block light from in front and a hood will keep light out from the sides and back. thanks again for your patience
03-24-2010, 03:35 PM   #23
Veteran Member
Jodokast96's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Erial, NJ USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,132
Skip those srew-on types. Here's a Pentax knock-off Lens Hood fr Pentax smc DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL II Zoom - eBay (item 350281163004 end time Apr-17-10 19:13:56 PDT). And when you get the 70-300, it will probably come with a hood of it's own.

03-24-2010, 03:37 PM   #24
Ira
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,216
QuoteOriginally posted by Oddity96 Quote
okay a uv filter block light from in front and a hood will keep light out from the sides and back. thanks again for your patience
By George she's got it!

Except...

A UV filter hardly blocks anything and is worthless. It also degrades the light entering the lens.

Some people use them to protect the lens from scratching, but just be careful, okay? A skylight filter is a better option for this purpose, not scratching your lens, but still pretty much not needed at all.

Pentax has engineered their lenses and metering systems to perform as is, so why the heck do you want to stick another piece of glass there that won't help at all?
03-24-2010, 07:32 PM   #25
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
... why the heck do you want to stick another piece of glass there that won't help at all?
Buying more stuff will help fight the recession. Buying stuff that makes pictures look worse is incentive to sell the old gear (cheap) and buy new gear (not so cheap) which also will help fight the recession. Buying more Pentax gear will keep Pentax in business, make their masters at Hoya happy, thrill the stockholders, and will help fight the recession (in Japan). I already did my part last year, buying so many Helios and Jupiter and Industar and Mir lenses, and Fed gear, that I single-handedly ended the recession in Ukraine. We must all do what we can to get the economy moving again. Didn't GW Bush say that the best way to fight recessions is to keep shopping?
03-24-2010, 07:39 PM   #26
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 233
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Buying more stuff will help fight the recession. Buying stuff that makes pictures look worse is incentive to sell the old gear (cheap) and buy new gear (not so cheap) which also will help fight the recession. Buying more Pentax gear will keep Pentax in business, make their masters at Hoya happy, thrill the stockholders, and will help fight the recession (in Japan). I already did my part last year, buying so many Helios and Jupiter and Industar and Mir lenses, and Fed gear, that I single-handedly ended the recession in Ukraine. We must all do what we can to get the economy moving again. Didn't GW Bush say that the best way to fight recessions is to keep shopping?
I beleive he said to the Japanese PM...
03-24-2010, 07:50 PM   #27
Ira
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,216
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I already did my part last year, buying so many Helios and Jupiter and Industar and Mir lenses, and Fed gear, that I single-handedly ended the recession in Ukraine.
That's a good thing. The Ukranians were our allies up to the recent election. Plus, the president is hot.

But with a new president coming in, they're now aligning with the Russians.

So what the hell are we gonna do? I would turn to Belarus, but my Peleng sucks and they're helping Chavez in Venezuela thwart our evil plans to invade with the 1958 radar systems they're helping install there.
03-28-2010, 04:17 PM   #28
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Oklahoma USA
Posts: 1,503
One of the most important functions of a hood is to keep paw prints and rain drops off the lens (or filter) surface. I prefer the metal/hard-plastic hoods that bayonet onto some lenses. But some other lenses (including one of my Pentax lenses) have no mechanism for attaching a hood other than the filter threads. I'm using a too-short rubber hood on that one, just because I already own one (a rubber hood, that is.)

Paul
03-29-2010, 10:07 AM   #29
Senior Member
Perrumpo's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Maryland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 207
Just don't order the Pentax 52mm petal hood from the Pentax Webstore. I've been waiting a month for mine to ship.
03-29-2010, 11:03 AM   #30
Moderator PEG Judges
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 32,834
As others have said it's all about protection in it's various forms, basically don't leave home without 'em.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, pentax help, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do I need 2 lens hoods? lovemehate Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 24 10-16-2010 10:06 AM
lens hoods beer_nuts Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 4 06-21-2010 09:33 AM
Lens Hoods? MrApollinax Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 3 01-25-2009 07:57 PM
Hoods marcdsgn Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 5 08-12-2008 01:02 AM
Lens hoods Trawlerman Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 1 09-11-2007 07:24 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:05 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top