Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2010, 06:09 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Hoods

What are their use in general?

03-23-2010, 06:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi harpee,

Hoods shield the lens from stray light. This can reduce or eliminate flare and increase overall contrast in the image. I also use them to protect the front element of the lens from damage. A final function of some of the petal shaped hoods is that they look cool (to me at least). . .

I always use one if I can.

Scott
03-23-2010, 06:52 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They are invaluable in night photography also to prevent ambient street light from causing hot sopts in your long exposures.
03-23-2010, 08:47 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Just note that with zoom lenses, the hood is mostly valuable at the widest position of the lens.

- Itai
Neovoyage | Explore, Experience, Expand your horizons | Travel Photography Tours

03-23-2010, 08:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

see the light 'raining' down the lens... could be prevented with hood... also they can improve colours in regular photograph, just take samples at the kitchen table, with or without the hood.

BUT there is a dark side... they can cause shadows on the image... particularly with a flash...!!!
03-24-2010, 12:43 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks guys.
03-24-2010, 09:34 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote

see the light 'raining' down the lens... could be prevented with hood... also they can improve colours in regular photograph, just take samples at the kitchen table, with or without the hood.

BUT there is a dark side... they can cause shadows on the image... particularly with a flash...!!!
That of course depends on where the strong light is coming from with respect to the lens..

03-24-2010, 09:41 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I would say that most of us use the hood all the time. The one exception is that sometimes the hood can cause a shadow on some flash pictures, especially the kit lens with the petal hood and built in flash. I mention this because I don't often use the flash, leave the hood on always and take a snapshot of a cool bike at night and this happens:

Last edited by reeftool; 07-20-2010 at 08:35 AM.
03-24-2010, 09:42 AM   #9
Inactive Account

what is a good style to get? Amazon.com: camera lens hood pentax: Electronics i am heading to Disneyland in two weeks and want to get some great shots. the first time my kids have been.
03-24-2010, 12:24 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery
If you are going to Disney, start practicing now!!! Lol, I had 6 weeks to prepare for our cruise and it wasn't enough. Out of the 2000 pics or so that I took, only a fraction were printable. I took plenty of OK shots but not many that were stellar.
03-24-2010, 12:28 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Which hood to get?

The style, type depends on the lens you are going to use. The hood must be matched to the lens.

As mentioned, with zoom lenses, the supplied factory hoods are mostly useful at the wide end. If you had a separate tele hood to add when shooting only at the long end of a zoom that would help more.

Hoods come in versions for the focal length - wide, normal, telephoto. So match them up for the best pics.
03-24-2010, 12:38 PM   #12
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Oddity96 Quote
what is a good style to get? Amazon.com: camera lens hood pentax: Electronics i am heading to Disneyland in two weeks and want to get some great shots. the first time my kids have been.
Bring money.
03-24-2010, 12:40 PM   #13
Ira
Inactive Account

As for hood style, I prefer the collapsible rubber ones:

They're cheap, don't take up any room in your bag when collapsed, and when you bang the end of your lens against something, you don't hear a clunk.
03-24-2010, 12:43 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by The Kurly One Quote
If you are going to Disney, start practicing now!!! Lol, I had 6 weeks to prepare for our cruise and it wasn't enough. Out of the 2000 pics or so that I took, only a fraction were printable. I took plenty of OK shots but not many that were stellar.
yes i know i am trying my best lol. i will be taking three cameras two i am use to so i will get some decent shots.

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
Which hood to get?

The style, type depends on the lens you are going to use. The hood must be matched to the lens.

As mentioned, with zoom lenses, the supplied factory hoods are mostly useful at the wide end. If you had a separate tele hood to add when shooting only at the long end of a zoom that would help more.

Hoods come in versions for the focal length - wide, normal, telephoto. So match them up for the best pics.
the only lens i have at the moment is the one the camera came with which is the 18/55. this should do fine with a hood? when i buy my other lens a 70/300 i need to get one for the 300?
03-24-2010, 01:50 PM   #15
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Oddity96 Quote
yes i know i am trying my best lol. i will be taking three cameras two i am use to so i will get some decent shots.

the only lens i have at the moment is the one the camera came with which is the 18/55. this should do fine with a hood? when i buy my other lens a 70/300 i need to get one for the 300?
Look at the filter diameter on the lens--not the focal length--or look at your lens cap, which will give you the size. 49mm, 52mm, etc. (I don't remember the size for the 18-55, but I'll guess 49.)

then just go to Wal-Mart, Walgreens, wherever, and buy something cheap for now. It's not really worth the effort or money obsessing over a hood. They all pretty much do the same thing.