Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2010, 02:05 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Look at the filter diameter on the lens--not the focal length--or look at your lens cap, which will give you the size. 49mm, 52mm, etc. (I don't remember the size for the 18-55, but I'll guess 49.)

then just go to Wal-Mart, Walgreens, wherever, and buy something cheap for now. It's not really worth the effort or money obsessing over a hood. They all pretty much do the same thing.
okay i understand now lol. wouldn't a good uv filter do the same thing?

03-24-2010, 02:42 PM   #17
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Oddity96 Quote
A filter isn't a hood, but the SIZES would be the same because they screw into the same "thing."

A filter is a piece of glass, whereas a hood sticks out and prevents light from the side coming in. It doesn't cover the glass of the lens or anything.

Think of it as a little umbrella, with a hole in the middle, so the lens can see.
03-24-2010, 02:54 PM   #18
Inactive Account

A filter isn't a hood, but the SIZES would be the same because they screw into the same "thing."

A filter is a piece of glass, whereas a hood sticks out and prevents light from the side coming in. It doesn't cover the glass of the lens or anything.

Think of it as a little umbrella, with a hole in the middle, so the lens can see.
i understand that but does it not just help with stay light in the picture and does not a good uv filter do the same thing? thank you for bearing with all these newb questions but i can't learn if i don't ask.
03-24-2010, 03:06 PM   #19
Ira
Inactive Account

i understand that but does it not just help with stay light in the picture and does not a good uv filter do the same thing? thank you for bearing with all these newb questions but i can't learn if i don't ask.
Here's an analogy, because I can't draw a diagram:

Screw a filter on there, and put the barrel of a pistol at angle, at the outer edge of the filter, touching it. Pull the trigger and the bullet pierces the filter and lens.

Now, put a hood on there and do the same thing, figuratively speaking. The "wall" of the hood, sticking out an inch, two inches, whatever, blocks that bullet from entering your lens.

And in this analogy, that bullet is actually light.

Filters have their function, but they still allow stray light to enter from the sides. "Good" light enters at a "good" angle and is good, but the bad light coming from the outer perimeter of your lens at extreme angles bounce around like crazy and screw up your image with bad flare and glare.

03-24-2010, 03:22 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Look at the filter diameter on the lens--not the focal length--or look at your lens cap, which will give you the size. 49mm, 52mm, etc. (I don't remember the size for the 18-55, but I'll guess 49.)
The 18-55 has a 52mm thread. Meanwhile, other option: Take lens(es) to hardware / home supply / plumbing shop. Look at black rubber pipe fittings, see if any fit. Spend very little money. Use savings to invest in Hoya Corp.
03-24-2010, 03:26 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A hood reduces flare, and might also help protect the lens. A filter also might protect a lens, but it generally makes flare worse, not better.
03-24-2010, 03:26 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Here's an analogy, because I can't draw a diagram:

Screw a filter on there, and put the barrel of a pistol at angle, at the outer edge of the filter, touching it. Pull the trigger and the bullet pierces the filter and lens.

Now, put a hood on there and do the same thing, figuratively speaking. The "wall" of the hood, sticking out an inch, two inches, whatever, blocks that bullet from entering your lens.

And in this analogy, that bullet is actually light.

Filters have their function, but they still allow stray light to enter from the sides. "Good" light enters at a "good" angle and is good, but the bad light coming from the outer perimeter of your lens at extreme angles bounce around like crazy and screw up your image with bad flare and glare.
okay a uv filter block light from in front and a hood will keep light out from the sides and back. thanks again for your patience

03-24-2010, 03:35 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Skip those srew-on types. Here's a Pentax knock-off Lens Hood fr Pentax smc DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL II Zoom - eBay (item 350281163004 end time Apr-17-10 19:13:56 PDT). And when you get the 70-300, it will probably come with a hood of it's own.
03-24-2010, 03:37 PM   #24
Ira
Inactive Account

okay a uv filter block light from in front and a hood will keep light out from the sides and back. thanks again for your patience
By George she's got it!

Except...

A UV filter hardly blocks anything and is worthless. It also degrades the light entering the lens.

Some people use them to protect the lens from scratching, but just be careful, okay? A skylight filter is a better option for this purpose, not scratching your lens, but still pretty much not needed at all.

Pentax has engineered their lenses and metering systems to perform as is, so why the heck do you want to stick another piece of glass there that won't help at all?
03-24-2010, 07:32 PM   #25
Veteran Member

... why the heck do you want to stick another piece of glass there that won't help at all?
Buying more stuff will help fight the recession. Buying stuff that makes pictures look worse is incentive to sell the old gear (cheap) and buy new gear (not so cheap) which also will help fight the recession. Buying more Pentax gear will keep Pentax in business, make their masters at Hoya happy, thrill the stockholders, and will help fight the recession (in Japan). I already did my part last year, buying so many Helios and Jupiter and Industar and Mir lenses, and Fed gear, that I single-handedly ended the recession in Ukraine. We must all do what we can to get the economy moving again. Didn't GW Bush say that the best way to fight recessions is to keep shopping?
03-24-2010, 07:39 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Buying more stuff will help fight the recession. Buying stuff that makes pictures look worse is incentive to sell the old gear (cheap) and buy new gear (not so cheap) which also will help fight the recession. Buying more Pentax gear will keep Pentax in business, make their masters at Hoya happy, thrill the stockholders, and will help fight the recession (in Japan). I already did my part last year, buying so many Helios and Jupiter and Industar and Mir lenses, and Fed gear, that I single-handedly ended the recession in Ukraine. We must all do what we can to get the economy moving again. Didn't GW Bush say that the best way to fight recessions is to keep shopping?
I beleive he said to the Japanese PM...
03-24-2010, 07:50 PM   #27
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I already did my part last year, buying so many Helios and Jupiter and Industar and Mir lenses, and Fed gear, that I single-handedly ended the recession in Ukraine.
That's a good thing. The Ukranians were our allies up to the recent election. Plus, the president is hot.

But with a new president coming in, they're now aligning with the Russians.

So what the hell are we gonna do? I would turn to Belarus, but my Peleng sucks and they're helping Chavez in Venezuela thwart our evil plans to invade with the 1958 radar systems they're helping install there.
03-28-2010, 04:17 PM   #28
Pentaxian

One of the most important functions of a hood is to keep paw prints and rain drops off the lens (or filter) surface. I prefer the metal/hard-plastic hoods that bayonet onto some lenses. But some other lenses (including one of my Pentax lenses) have no mechanism for attaching a hood other than the filter threads. I'm using a too-short rubber hood on that one, just because I already own one (a rubber hood, that is.)

Paul
03-29-2010, 10:07 AM   #29

Just don't order the Pentax 52mm petal hood from the Pentax Webstore. I've been waiting a month for mine to ship.
03-29-2010, 11:03 AM   #30
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
As others have said it's all about protection in it's various forms, basically don't leave home without 'em.