Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2010, 03:16 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by The Kurly One Quote
I know Bokeh is the background (or Foreground) all smudgy.

But what constitutes good Bokeh? Is it a smeared or is it Spotty? I was going to post this in the techniques section but figured I'm probably not the only noob wondering this...
a good Bokeh is smooth and regular
when the background looks restless and the light parts are hard it is a bad Bokeh

03-27-2010, 04:04 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by iFoto Quote
when the background looks restless and the light parts are hard it is a bad Bokeh
Unless it's your intention to have a jaggy, hard-edge background -- then it's GOOD bokeh! Example: The subject is a large, smooth object with stark details well-separated from its edges, and the (smaller) background is contrasty and vicious and eye-jarring. Then your eyes are pushed towards the stark details in the subject, just to avoid the background. But this is a special case. I hope.

In other words, good bokeh successfully separates the subject from the background. Yes, if you want the details of your subject to be paramount, by all means have a smooth, creamy, non-intrusive background. This can be done with the right lens(es), and/or the right lens technique, and/or keeping the background far, far away. But we all need to decide just what works for us in various circumstances.
03-27-2010, 04:22 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
In other words, good bokeh successfully separates the subject from the background[/indent]
thats call Depth of field (DOF) i think so
something different