Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2010, 05:22 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax K-x with a Canon Speedlite 430 EX II Flash-- FAST HELP NEEDED PLEASE!

Hey everyone,

I'm in school still, and my yearbook class just got two brand new t1i's yesterday. I got to try them out today, along with my teacher's Canon Speedlite 430 EX II flash and wow! The T1i's LCD screen makes pictures look really nice, and the flash fills in really nicely IMO. And my teacher has a 5D Mark II and amazing lenses... Don't get me started haha.

Well, time to get to the point. I wanted to bring my K-x tomorrow and try it with the Canon flash. I heard from some random person that the flash should work-- any ideas?

A few questions:
Can the flash kill my camera or the flash in any way?
Has anyone tried it before?
Is it worth trying?

I need quick help, haha. I want to try it tomorrow morning!

Thanks a lot!!!
-Shub

Last edited by Shub; 03-24-2010 at 05:49 PM.
03-24-2010, 07:04 PM   #2
Pentaxian

The Canon flash won't kill your camera because its trigger voltage is low (less than 6V in this case).
I haven't tried the 430 EX II but a Canon 540 EZ.
It is worth trying if you are happy with manual flash operation only. Since the flash is not dedicated for your Pentax camera, there will be no support for automatic exposure. You'll have to set your camera into manual mode, select a shutter speed such as 1/180 (max.) and then play with the flash power and the aperture to get the right exposure.
Bouncing the flash off surfaces, e.g., wall or ceiling, will help. Direct flash from the camera almost always looks bad.
03-24-2010, 07:19 PM   #3

Personally, I wouldn't try it.

I tried my Canon Speedlite 270EX on my 1st K-x and it went off at full power and then wouldn't work again on the K-x for about 3 hours. The flash worked fine on my Canon camera after that but for some reason wouldn't work again on my K-x for a few hours. The only thing I can think is it stressed some part in the K-x that needed time to reset.
03-30-2010, 02:54 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The Canon flash won't kill your camera because its trigger voltage is low (less than 6V in this case).
I haven't tried the 430 EX II but a Canon 540 EZ.
It is worth trying if you are happy with manual flash operation only. Since the flash is not dedicated for your Pentax camera, there will be no support for automatic exposure. You'll have to set your camera into manual mode, select a shutter speed such as 1/180 (max.) and then play with the flash power and the aperture to get the right exposure.
Bouncing the flash off surfaces, e.g., wall or ceiling, will help. Direct flash from the camera almost always looks bad.

Thanks a lot. I went ahead and tried it, and it worked exactly as you said. Pretty decent results Just basically a spare light haha!