Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2010, 03:56 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Macro question ???

when i use a tri-pod for macro and say im shooting a bug if the shutter speed is low because of aperture is so high in av mode, if i wanted to shoot in shutter priority how do i capture the bug if it's bee or such moving around and the subject not blur and still get the DOF??? my equipment is a Pentax kx with a 50mm sigma f2.8 macro lens....Thank you all for your input

03-25-2010, 04:43 AM   #2
Forum Member

More light.
03-25-2010, 05:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Definitely more light is required. You might have to look into a Macro Ring Flash which is a flash device that mounts onto the front barrel of the lens and not on the hot shoe. My question is does the Kx have a wire connection for an external flash. I know it has a hot shoe. If it doesn't you will also need an adapter that will let you use a flash that is not situated on the hot shoe.
03-25-2010, 05:53 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you for your input as i will look into what ring flash would suit me best, if im doing macro would it be best if use av/tv/..ect??? what would you all suggest to me...and thank you again for your help

03-25-2010, 06:03 AM   #5
Pentaxian

You can use wireless flash for shooting macro. Hold the camera and put the flash on a tripod or flash stand. Sometimes I even hold the flash over the creature's head and hold the camera with one hand.

The easiest way to add light is to mount an external flash on the camera with a diffuser and use -1 Ev on the flash. Ring lights give a very flat lighting, which is super for product shots but not so interesting for insects.
03-25-2010, 06:37 AM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LiveNLearn Quote
Thank you for your input as i will look into what ring flash would suit me best, if im doing macro would it be best if use av/tv/..ect??? what would you all suggest to me...and thank you again for your help
Av, because you're usually going to want to use the smallest aperture you have for greatest DOF.

Be aware that not all ring flashes will operate in full automatic, P-TTL on the camera, and the ones that do get pretty pricey. But if you want to be able to go out in the field and shoot small things on the fly (no pun intended), a ring flash is the way to go.

I have the Sigma EM-140 DG, which operates P-TTL on the KX, and which wasn't cheap. (Just learning to use it now.) Besides full auto, it only gives you about a thousand other ways to adjust your exposure. (Sarcasm here.) It has a modeling lamp on it (continuous lamp to help in focusing), and you can set it to fire both "sides" of it simultaneously, or fire individually. Only firing one side directs any possible shadow to the opposite direction, but more important, gives you more of a 3-dimensional look to the image. Brings out more of the detail.

Also note that with a 50mm focal length, and you're getting close enough, the ring flash can work great for portraits. I MYSELF haven't mastered this art yet, but others have.