Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2010, 12:48 PM   #1

Auto Focus mode/type in K-x

From almost all the feedbacks and reviews, it seems that whenever the 11 point AF type/mode is selected, the result produced can be quite random, due to the absence of any display/indication as to which part is selected as the focusing point.

In view of the above, do you think that, in cases other than where we manually select the AF point, it would be better to keep the default AF type in Centre (Spot) rather than take the risk of selecting the 11 point AF?

Will any future firmware upgrade be able to fix this deficiency (absence of AF point indicator)??

03-25-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I gave up on 11 point fairly early on and went to center spot (focus / recompose). I was not getting consistent results on 11 point (even though it was probably doing what it was designed to do). Not sure if the hardware (display) is there to do the focus point indicator (there are icons but that is not enough). So I'm guessing it will not come with a firmware update.

However I'm quite happy working this way anyway. Because even if you do have focus points, although you know when you have a problem, you still have to do something about it anyway - ie. fiddle around with changing focus point or focus / recompose. I would rather focus / recompose that fiddling around changing focus points - although I understand there are times when selectable focus points can be handy like when doing macro on a tripod.
03-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thanglian Quote
From almost all the feedbacks and reviews, it seems that whenever the 11 point AF type/mode is selected, the result produced can be quite random, due to the absence of any display/indication as to which part is selected as the focusing point.
That's not true. It's random even on cameras that show you which point was chosen. It's just that some cameras go out of their way to tell you just how random they are being. If you don't want random selection of AF points, don't let the camera pick. That is equally true whether the camera advertises its choices or not.

QuoteQuote:
In view of the above, do you think that, in cases other than where we manually select the AF point, it would be better to keep the default AF type in Centre (Spot) rather than take the risk of selecting the 11 point AF?
I haven't taken a picture in anything but center point mode in years, and the same is true of very many other photographers. The few who will quibble that in certain fairly cases with certain lenses you might get a slight discrepancy if you focus with the center point then recompose, won't be suggestion letting the camera select the focus point as the fix - instead, it's choosing the focus point yourself. Letting the camera pick is for people who don't care enough focus to ask these kinds of questions :-)

QuoteQuote:
Will any future firmware upgrade be able to fix this deficiency (absence of AF point indicator)??
No, it's a hardware limitation. But also, as thousands of posts in these forums will attest, not really an issue for most in practice. If you care about focus, you don't let the camera pick, period.
03-26-2010, 10:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Also, center-AF is the fastest AF-locking mode for all brands.