Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2010, 05:12 PM   #1

My first prime: just sharing

First, I just wanted to say that this forum has been like an addiction since I bought my first DSLR last week - a Pentax K-X with the kit 18-55mm and 55-300mm. I have no idea what I'm really doing but I've been reading some good books and this forum.

I decided to get one cheap, fast prime. I've been wanting an SMC Pentax M 50/1.7 since I've heard nothing but good things about them and I could pick one up for about $50. I've been watching them on Ebay, but I didn't want to spend over $50 and they seem to be going for more right now. But today, I just so happened to go the local Camera shop at lunch and they had an old Pentax film camera with an SMC Pentax M 50/1.7 attached. The guy let me buy the lens for $40. It's in great condition and I was dying to get home and try it.

Man, I can't believe how much light this thing "creates" in the low light conditions of my apartment. Plus, the DOF is minuscule when you want it to be - lots of Bokeh fun with this thing. I'm still learning how to adjust to a manual lens, and I'm still learning how to create shots in general - I got a long way to go. But I just wanted to share my joy with you all, since I've been reading your posts everyday and learning so much from you. Here's a shot I took of some flowers I bought my wife tonight - just because I love her ---errr- because I wanted to try my new glass.

Attached Images

03-26-2010, 05:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Congrats... Primes are what keeps me loving Pentax. The M50 was my first as well (at least for Pentax). Sold mine, but ended up with another! Keep at it. It's tough to nail it wide open, but with practice it will come and you'll have some great results to show for it.
03-26-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
Banned

like a lot of pentaxians the M 50 was my first manual focus kmount lens. I no longer have it. (had multiple at one point) but I share your enthusiasm! getting to use such fine fast glass is a real treat considering the price of new lenses. compromises for sure, but can still give amazing results!
03-26-2010, 07:06 PM   #4
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome VikingDave. The primes are addictive. Before I got my first Tak, I had no idea what the fuss of smooth focusing rings was all about. Now, I know!! Enjoy

03-26-2010, 10:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Please don't look down on the two kit lenses. They won't let you down.

18-55

55-300
03-26-2010, 10:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome... and have fun with you 50, it is an odd length and will challenge you to think on a dsrl
03-27-2010, 01:29 AM   #7
hcc
Pentaxian

Well done and thank you for sharing your happyness.

I agree with all the posts that the prime lenses can be addictive ...
03-27-2010, 03:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Commendable to be interested in good glass after only having just got your first DSLR. Glass is the number one factor in (technical) image quality.

However, I do agree with you Ken about the kit lenses. They're good (for kit lenses), but they're still kit lenses. If you need faster than f/3.5 or f/5.6 etc - you can't get it. Pentax kit lenses' sharpness seems overall OK but they will always be a lot inferior to top glass. I like your second shot, but nicer glass may have had it sharper or with less fringing or more smooth bokeh. Kit lenses just don't excel in those areas. I think the camera sensors these days are so good, and the prices are decent, so you should, in my opinion, be using nicer glass if you can afford to.

That being said, the biggest part of creating good images will always be the photographer, and lots of great images have been taken with much less than great gear.

03-27-2010, 07:55 AM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

Dave, fantastic way that you relayed your experiences and feeling. And this is only the beginning for you.

I use the old glass mostly because I enjoy the fully manual experience, and it just puts you in a different "place." And judging by that photo, you got a winner there. Beautiful.

Plus, as said above, using primes requires a different discipline, one that I really like.
03-27-2010, 12:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks for your kind words CWyatt . I sure know how lovely Pentax primes are as I have few in my possession. The reason I showed those two pictures taken by the kit lenses, simply just to let people who are new to Pentax DSLR know those two are not as bad as some might think, just because they're named "kit lens".