Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2010, 03:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Enlarging a print?

Okay, my parents just asked me and I don't know the answer... They don't have the negatives to this 6x4 print I believe... and they want to enlarge it. The only thing I can think of is getting a scanner and scanning it then printing a larger print. Suggestions someone?

03-27-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lay it flat on a surface and take a picture of it. Make sure your WB is set properly, use a gray card if need be. Then you can print as large as you like.

03-27-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Lay it flat on a surface and take a picture of it. Make sure your WB is set properly, use a gray card if need be. Then you can print as large as you like.

LOL OKIES ;D thanks, I've become the photography guy of the house.
03-27-2010, 04:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Depends on the print. Is the paper glossy or matte, smooth or textured? Textured prints don't copy well. And yes, scanning is better. I refused to inherit a dedicated document photographing setup because it's bulky and balky -- much worse than a large photo enlarger. Using a camera to shoot a piece of paper is tricky. Keeping the target flat; lighting it adequately; dealing with glare; etc. Sure, it can be and has been done, but scanning is MUCH easier and more reliable.

SCRUPULOUSLY clean the scanner glass, and dust-off the picture. Scan at a high resolution; actually, try several resolutions, see which works best. Move the scan into your PP editor and slash away at any imperfections. Increase the contrast, sharpen it, pop the colors etc, then scale it up. Save it and print it. I usually print on glossy paper, then mount and matte and glass and frame my scale-ups. The glass (or acrylic) serves to hide the scale-up detritus. Have fun.

03-27-2010, 04:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Depends on the print. Is the paper glossy or matte, smooth or textured? Textured prints don't copy well. And yes, scanning is better. I refused to inherit a dedicated document photographing setup because it's bulky and balky -- much worse than a large photo enlarger. Using a camera to shoot a piece of paper is tricky. Keeping the target flat; lighting it adequately; dealing with glare; etc. Sure, it can be and has been done, but scanning is MUCH easier and more reliable.

SCRUPULOUSLY clean the scanner glass, and dust-off the picture. Scan at a high resolution; actually, try several resolutions, see which works best. Move the scan into your PP editor and slash away at any imperfections. Increase the contrast, sharpen it, pop the colors etc, then scale it up. Save it and print it. I usually print on glossy paper, then mount and matte and glass and frame my scale-ups. The glass (or acrylic) serves to hide the scale-up detritus. Have fun.
Too late, ;( glare glare, everywhere, so hard... ;(
03-30-2010, 04:59 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Make yourself a light tent from a white sheet. Position several lights to give even lighting.
03-30-2010, 07:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Scanning does seem to work pretty well for prints, indeed. *negative* scanning drives me up the wall, but even a much lower res scan has a lot more area to scan off of. (You can end up with a pretty ridiculous-sized file if you're not careful, actually. )

By the time 4x6 machine prints became pretty common, I'm pretty sure the matte finish became, relatively-speaking, way more uncommon/out of fashion. (It's not like I made a study of it) but I think the odds are very good the OP's print has a glossy finish.