Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Note the AF500FTZ does not support auto, only TTL and Manual
Really? I guess I should have looked at the manual like I do with other stuff I've never owned. Does it at least do Wireless?

01-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Really? I guess I should have looked at the manual like I do with other stuff I've never owned. Does it at least do Wireless?

I've always questioned the lack of an Auto Thyristor mode on the AF 500 FTZ. . . Why would they include this on the 280, but not the top of the line?

It does have an optical slave sensor, but it cannot be tuned to ignore the preflash, so you'd either need a "digital" optical slave trigger to fire it with the popup flash, or trigger it with a manual or Auto thyristor external flash in the hotshoe (or a manual lens and the popup) if you want to trigger it optically.

One feature that the 500 has that the 540 doesn't is strobe flash. Oddly, the AF 360 FGZ also has the strobe feature. . . go figure.

Scott
01-08-2011, 03:03 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Nope. I just blinded myself testing the optical slave but no wireless. It has a less garish display light than the 540, and fits better in a bag. The zoom head works, trailing curtain sync, 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32 but no 1/64 power, AF assist spotbeam, 5P socket, no locking pin on the hotshoe.
01-08-2011, 03:29 PM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
I've always questioned the lack of an Auto Thyristor mode on the AF 500 FTZ. . . Why would they include this on the 280, but not the top of the line?

It does have an optical slave sensor, but it cannot be tuned to ignore the preflash, so you'd either need a "digital" optical slave trigger to fire it with the popup flash, or trigger it with a manual or Auto thyristor external flash in the hotshoe (or a manual lens and the popup) if you want to trigger it optically.

One feature that the 500 has that the 540 doesn't is strobe flash. Oddly, the AF 360 FGZ also has the strobe feature. . . go figure.

Scott
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Nope. I just blinded myself testing the optical slave but no wireless. It has a less garish display light than the 540, and fits better in a bag. The zoom head works, trailing curtain sync, 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32 but no 1/64 power, AF assist spotbeam, 5P socket, no locking pin on the hotshoe.
I downloaded the manual after my post and it seems the camera it mentions the most is the SF1. I had thought about Buying a 500 for wireless but if it doesn't support it, I see no need to get one. Seems ebay sellers are asking a bit much for it if all that is the case (to be used as a modern flash). While it may not do wireless and does not swivel, I have a Vivitar 550FD that works great in auto mode on most cameras. The going rate for that one is about $10. Spend another $10-$20 one can get one that does swivel too (and both will support TTL if that's what you want).

I guess if you want to use it on a TTL camera it may be a great flash but... Best of luck to the OP. I stand completely corrected here (not afraid to admit it). With the exception of swivel, for a few $ more, you can get an AF360 and have all the advantages of P-TTL with full auto if needed AND wireless.

01-13-2011, 12:27 PM   #20
Site Supporter

I have one and it works fine with the Kx. You have to read the rather large manual with so much information on it. The AF500FTZ has ttl, which allow to read all the information relative to focussing etc. in automatic. When shooting manual, you have to set it up according to the table provided in the manual. It CANNOT BE used wireless, and it cannot be used as master. However, it can be used as a slave with the 5P cord.
----
Update: I actually used the 500ftz wireless wonderfully. I use it as slave only, the master being an AF360fgz, and the popup flash as a control. I use it in a portrait studio and it is the one that I adjust manually to tune the lighting of the subject. I prefer it to the 540fgz, it consumes less battery and it is portable and beautiful. It looks like pentax put a lot of effort in designing this one. Too bad there were no digital cameras at that time. The deal is: it has no P as in PREFLASH (only TTL). It does not participate in the conversation with the master to set up the discharge of light based on the focus. However, this can be done manually. My friend has a set up with a 360 and a 540, and he still has to do manually one of the two.

Last edited by Pepe Guitarra; 01-21-2011 at 09:56 PM.
01-13-2011, 01:14 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Guitarra Quote
I have one and it works fine with the Kx. You have to read the rather large manual with so much information on it. The AF500FTZ has ttl, which allow to read all the information relative to focussing etc. in automatic. When shooting manual, you have to set it up according to the table provided in the manual. It CANNOT BE used wireless, and it cannot be used as master. However, it can be used as a slave with the 5P cord.
Unfortunately, the AF500FTZ will not work on any DSLR from the K10D onward except in manual mode. It does not support P-TTL, nor does it have an auto mode. I had to sell mine and buy an AF540FGZ to work on my K10D. Yes it will fire, but any number of less expensive flashes will be much easier to use on the K series. As you said, it works very well on the SF-1, but so does the AF540FGZ which supports older cameras.
01-13-2011, 01:42 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Unfortunately, the AF500FTZ will not work on any DSLR from the K10D onward except in manual mode. It does not support P-TTL, nor does it have an auto mode. I had to sell mine and buy an AF540FGZ to work on my K10D. Yes it will fire, but any number of less expensive flashes will be much easier to use on the K series. As you said, it works very well on the SF-1, but so does the AF540FGZ which supports older cameras.
the one thing I mentioned earlier, and this is an impression only, not hard fact because the data is not published, is I feel the flash duration is shorter and actual light output (when flash is on) is higher than the AF540FGZ.

I have an impression (only) that images shot at high power using my *istD (which supports TTL) and a K 300F4 are sharper with the AF500FTZ than with the AF540FGZ. Since the lens forces TTL mode on th e*istD and I am shooting at 1/150 I have an impression of slight camera shake being apparent in the shots with the AF540FGZ that are not there with the AF500FTZ. Just an impression, but I do want to measure the duration for both.

Also note that while the AF500FTZ came out after the SF1 it was primairly used on the PZ1 which had a sync of 1/250 and a 1/8000 shutter. Considering that was a full frame body, the full open time of the shutter must have been pretty short and /or the blades moved awfully fast to cover 50% more distance in much less time