03-29-2010, 09:47 AM   #16
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My suggestion, in order would be:

1. Used K20D
2. KX

04-14-2010, 01:10 PM   #17

I owned a few Canons and played around with A95 also, it's a great camera at a great price I personally recommend the K20D from your selections partly because I used it for a while and partly because it's at a great price point in the used market and many of them are only lightly used. I think you'll be very surprised over the feature set you'll get with K20D at the current used price.
04-14-2010, 04:35 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
My suggestion, in order would be:

1. Used K20D
2. KX

QuoteOriginally posted by shawnxji Quote
I personally recommend the K20D from your selections partly because I used it for a while and partly because it's at a great price point in the used market and many of them are only lightly used. I think you'll be very surprised over the feature set you'll get with K20D at the current used price.
Indeed. Beyond megapickles and WR vs high-ISO performance, what IMHO makes the K20 special are the many features and functions, and the level of control possible, especially with switches-dial-knobs vs menu settings. Part of what sets a serious camera apart from others is the availability of controls on the body, with less menuing needed. They can take a while to master, but they're sure good to have out there. (Menus often conceal more than they reveal.) Add the top info screen, and tethering, and you've got a really potent all-around performer. My gripes list is pretty short.
04-14-2010, 05:52 PM   #19
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love these threads when everyone is arguing about something and the OP disappeared weeks ago.

04-15-2010, 01:52 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I love these threads when everyone is arguing about something and the OP disappeared weeks ago.
Could not agree with you more, Ira.
Yes, OP is no where to be seen. And everyone is still discussing the best first dSLR.

Cheers.
04-15-2010, 04:18 AM   #21
Site Supporter

I'd like to suggest a K1000. Great for learning the basics -- manual focus, all of the settings and truly understanding photography the way it was meant to be! I can't find it on the charts of Dxo, but I believe it is even full frame, so that is an added benefit and looks like you can pick one up with a normal prime for pretty cheap.
04-15-2010, 04:38 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Tethering is a new term to me. (Well actually I think I remember it being done with horses in the old cowdy films). Any explanations as to how it is used photographically?
04-15-2010, 05:40 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Tethering is basically when you shoot with your camera attached to a computer (probably a laptop). Depending on your camera, you can control varying amounts of shooting from the computer as well as being able to view the photos on a much larger screen as soon as they are shot. It is most useful in studio settings (of course).

04-15-2010, 03:50 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Thanks Rondec.
Nice clear explanation.
Nothing to do with horses then!
04-15-2010, 03:57 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Tethering is basically when you shoot with your camera attached to a computer (probably a laptop). Depending on your camera, you can control varying amounts of shooting from the computer as well as being able to view the photos on a much larger screen as soon as they are shot. It is most useful in studio settings (of course).
Some folks doing out-of-studio astro, macro, pano, interval, and HDR shoots have mentioned being tethered, to get better feedback about their shooting. Think of it as super-chimping, eh? But if I were doing serious field work, I'd probably want to be tethered. And carry a motorcycle battery to power computer and camera. And take a thermos of hot tea. And a wind-up gramophone. Ansel, my bearer, can schlep all this stuff for me. Oh Ansel, would you pass me my pith helmet, please? This moon is becoming beastly hot. Thank you, thank you.
04-15-2010, 04:28 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Hey everyone let's keep commenting on a thread without asking what it's about!

(anyways)

I sometimes don't understand the point of tethering (on to our new subject) because doesn't the laptop display just further pixelate what a low resolution LCD would show? Or does it tehter the image directly to the sensor of the camera?
04-15-2010, 04:40 PM   #27
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Hey everyone let's keep commenting on a thread without asking what it's about!

(anyways)

I sometimes don't understand the point of tethering (on to our new subject) because doesn't the laptop display just further pixelate what a low resolution LCD would show? Or does it tehter the image directly to the sensor of the camera?
It doesn't give you full resolution, but because of the pixel size of a monitor compared to the LCD, it makes it easier to focus.

But your suspicion is correct, as it doesn't display anything at full res.
04-15-2010, 08:48 PM   #28

which one to choose

Is the K-X a good choice for someone new to digital photography? I'm looking to get my first digi SLR. Also, is it a bad idea to consider a refurbished one? I can't really afford a new one right now.
04-15-2010, 09:03 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NoobCA Quote
Is the K-X a good choice for someone new to digital photography? I'm looking to get my first digi SLR. Also, is it a bad idea to consider a refurbished one? I can't really afford a new one right now.
Yes, the Kx is a good place to start with digital photography.

No, it is not a bad idea to consider a refurbed dSLR, as long as the warranty is strong and the vendor is good. Just remember that an older dSLR has an older feature set, and maybe a lower-resolution sensor, and you might feel like you've outgrown it sooner than you would a newer camera.

That said, if you're considering a refurbed K20D (or even new), GO FOR IT!! It has features not found on the K7 and Kx (and vice-versa). The K20D was my first dSLR a couple years ago, and I'm still learning on and from it. It can take you from the basics to the most advanced applications.

What the K20D doesn't do: high-ISO; video; multitudinous scene effects. What it does that newer cams don't: tethering; accessible controls; something else, but I forget what right now. [Duh. Time to go to sleep.]

When I decided to buy Pentax, it was because 1) they had the lenses I wanted at prices I could afford, and 2) users bitched less about Pentax than about other brands. Reading gripe lists is very enlightening. Buy something that won't make you bitch, gripe, moan, groan, whine, etc.
04-16-2010, 01:14 PM   #30

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I'm still lurking, and from what I've gathered from the on topic posts is that the K20 is probably my best bet if I can find one at a good price. Next up is the K-X which has the smaller body and CMOS sensor with better high ISO performance but lacks the WR which makes the K20 appealing to me. The batteries don't make a difference, most of my outdoor gear uses AAA's and chosen so I only need one spare set.

I guess I got a little overwhelmed, I was asking what was the better camera for me, not the best camera available. I've done more research on my own and haven't updated this thread with where I'm going yet and I wasn't sure what my tax return was going to be yet either.